Kochi University of Technology offers special scholarship program for international students to pursue doctoral degree within the department of Engineering at Graduate School of Engineering. The scholarship is awarded for one year but the term will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the SSP student status for any of the reasons stated. Applications will close on September 18, 2014.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are awarded in the Department of Engineering at Graduate School of Engineering.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing the doctoral degree program.
Scholarship Provider: Kochi University of Technology
Scholarship can be taken at: Japan
(1) To have nationality other than Japanese.
(2) To have or have the intention to acquire the “Student” status of Japanese residence, at the time of entrance in accordance with the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act in Japan.
(3) To have or to be expected to acquire a master’s degree before enrollment.
(4) To have excellent academic records in both bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
(5) To be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment.
(6) To have the intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work as a research assistant in one of the research projects listed.
(7) To have a high English proficiency.
Scholarship Open for International Students: International students can apply for these scholarships.
Scholarship Description: The Special Scholarship Program (SSP) established in 2003 in order to support the advanced research of the university by enlisting the help of highly capable students especially students from foreign countries. Every year in April and October, the university enrolls selected doctoral students for specific research projects. The students pursue the doctoral course in English (excl. Japanese students) while at the same time assisting their host professor as a research assistant (RA). Through this program KUT wishes to expand and deepen international ties with academic and educational institutions all over the world.
Number of award(s): Number of scholarships is yet to be decided.
Duration of award(s): Scholarship is offered for one year but the term will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the SSP student status for any of the reasons stated below:
(1) In the case where a student’s report, submitted in accordance with term 5-(2), is assessed as being below the standard for SSP students.
(2) In the case of behavior which is deemed inappropriate for an SSP student.
What does it cover?
1) Exemption from 30,000 yen entrance fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee.
(2) To support living expenses, 150,000 yen/month is paid for research project work.
(3) 150,000 yen is provided for travel and initial living costs (given only to foreign students who are living outside Japan, and who have, or have the intention to acquire, “Student” status of Japanese residence at the time of entry into Japan)
Selection Criteria: The submitted documents will be carefully examined in the course of the first screening. Only applicants who are successful in that screening will then be examined in such forms as an interview, an English written exam, an academic achievement written exam in the specialized field required for the conduct of the selected research project, etc.
Notification: Applicants will be notified about Primary Screening Result by End of November, 2014 and about Admission Decision by End of December, 2014.
How to Apply:
(1) Choose a research project from the SSP Research Project List.
(2) Complete and submit all required documents by post.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is September 18, 2014 for April 2015 intake.