The Okayama University is inviting applications are for Summer School Scholarships which runs from July 1, 2018 – July 14, 2018. This is a two weeks programme available for international students.
This two-week summer program aims to provide students from all around the world with opportunities to learn about the Setouchi region and to advance the SDGs with a clear picture of Setouchi’s past, present and future through a lecture series, concerning topics such as the revitalization of mountain villages, tourism in a small island, community involvement in the historical town, Kurashiki, the Setouchi Art Festival, and its influence on local people’s lifestyles.
The Okayama University is a top-class national university with over 140 years of history. We have 11 faculties, 7 graduate schools, and various programs. You can gain a unique learning experience which will positively impact the future success of your academic and professional career.
- Application Deadline: The application deadlines are:
First deadline: February 14, 2018 (Wednesday)
Second deadline: March 7, 2018 (Wednesday)
- Course Level: This is a summer programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in “SETOUCHI – Its Natural Environment and Society” Advancing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Scholarship Award: Students who are applying from one of our partner institutions and have an academic record of good standing are encouraged to apply for our scholarship program (80,000 JPY).
The official transcript from our partner institutions submitted with students’ applications for this Summer Program will be referred to when consideration is given to which students satisfy the criteria for the scholarship. The award decision will be made on June 1, 2018 (Friday).
- IMPORTANT: Travel Insurance Requirements: All participants are required to arrange travel insurance in their home countries before departing to Japan.
Students, who arrive at Okayama University without proper insurance, are required to purchase Okayama university co-op insurance before attending the summer program. (Approximately 5,000 JPY for premium and 4,000JPY for membership deposit. Cash only).
- Nationality: Students from all around the world are eligible.
- Number of Scholarships: 45 maximum (Minimum number 20). If the total number of applicants who qualify to take the course does not meet the minimum required number, this summer program may be cancelled. The decision about whether or not this program will be carried out will be made and announced by May 25, 2018 (Friday).
- Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Students from all around the world are eligible.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
Undergraduate students who are studying in universities with which Okayama University has an agreement for academic or student exchange will be given priority. Undergraduate students from other overseas higher education institutions are also encouraged to apply. However, such candidates cannot be considered as candidates for the JASSO scholarship.
Since English is the medium language of instruction in this program, students are required to be proficient in English. Students who are non-native speaker of English must submit one of the following documents as proof of English proficiency,
TOEFL iBT 61 or above
IELTS 5.5 with an equivalent mark of the CEFR B2 level or above
Other English test scores which can be considered as equivalent to the CEFR
B2 level or above.
NOTE: CEFR stands for Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. * If you have any questions regarding this English proficiency requirement, please contact our program coordinator (see #13).
How to Apply: Students may apply for this summer school through the following website.