Swedish ICT and the Research Institute Acreo invite applications for three years PhD student position in Coherent Optical Communication for the academic year 2014. To be eligible for the position, candidate should possess an MSc degree. The practical project work will take place at Acreo Swedish ICT AB (Acreo). This project will develop and investigate theoretically, by simulations and experimentally new methods for constructing communications systems with very high capacity. The application deadline is March 15, 2014.
Study Subject: The PhD study will be based on numerical simulations (i.e. using tools like MATLAB, VPITtransmission Maker etc.) as well as on experimental verifications in the lab at high transmission speeds in the order of 100 GS/s. Topics for study include:
– Ways of incorporating features like chromatic dispersion, fiber non-linearities, Raman amplification, and decide which implementations give the best phase noise tolerance.
– Mitigation of component imperfections in system context.
– Modulation techniques that are interesting are coherent n-level Phase Shift Keying (PSK) and Quadrature Amplitude Modulated (QAM) systems as well OFDM systems.
Course Level: Position is open for undertaking PhD research project.
Scholarship Provider: Swedish ICT and the Research Institute Acreo
Scholarship can be taken at: Stockholm, Sweden
Eligibility: Applicants must hold a MSc degree. The applicant’s background should be in optics/photonics, applied physics, electrical engineering, or related areas. Furthermore, the successful applicant has:
– Strong academic credentials, written and spoken English proficiency, communication and team-work skills, self-motivation and sense of initiative.
– Interest in following subjects: electro-optics, optical transmission systems. Strong motivation to perform simulation and experimentally based research.
– Ability to programme in various languages (C++, MATLAB …) and be able to verify and design advanced computer (simulation) software model implementations.
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: International students can apply for this PhD scholarship.
Scholarship Description: PhD student position is offered by Swedish ICT Acreo in Coherent Optical Communication. This project will develop and investigate theoretically, by simulations and experimentally new methods for constructing communications systems with very high capacity. The doctoral study will be based on numerical simulations (i.e. using tools like MATLAB, VPITtransmission Maker etc.) as well as on experimental verifications in the lab at high transmission speeds in the order of 100 GS/s.
Number of award(s): One PhD student position is available in this scholarship.
Duration of award(s): This PhD student position is available for the period of three years.
How to Apply: An application (in English) should include:
– Cover letter, one-page summary of your application
– CV including relevant documents demonstrating achievements and experience and two personal references
– An official copy of the MSc degree certificate and academic transcript
– Optional: Copy of MSc thesis report (in PDF format), List of publications (if applicable) and Reference letter(s).
Please send your application to phd-at-acreo.se as soon as possible.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is March 15, 2014.