Tsinghua University is offering free online course on Combinatorial Mathematics. In this course, applicants will discover how to apply counting principles and combinatorics to solve problems in computer science, financial analysis, and your daily life.
Instead of relying on the traditional mathematical “theorem – proof” format, this course demonstrates various principles in an intuitive manner with ancient stories, the scenes of movies and even a magic show.The course will start on October 13, 2016.
Course At A Glance
Length: 12 weeks
Effort: 6-8 hours per week
Institution: Tsinghua University and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course starts on October 13, 2016
Tsinghua University, founded in 1911, is one of the most prestigious universities in Asia. Tsinghua University consists of 19 schools and 55 departments with faculties in science, engineering, humanities, social sciences, architecture, management, law, medicine, arts and design. As China’s leading institution of advanced learning, Tsinghua is dedicated to excellence in education, research, and social services. Tsinghua has approximately 3,200 faculty members and over 35,000 students, including 3,500 international students from 108 countries.
About This Course
Our lives are full of combinations. Combinatorial mathematics is just the science to deal with combinations of discrete items. As an ancient field, the history of combinatorial mathematics can be traced back over 4000 years to the age of the Great Yu in ancient China. Today, combinatorial mathematics is regarded as the basis of computer science since the algorithms in programming heavily rely on the analysis of the discrete elements.
Why Take This Course?
This course will help prepare you for more advanced courses in Windows Server-based cloud and data centre administration.
- Counting principles in our daily lives
- Applying math to computer science and financial analysis
- The science behind combinations of discrete items
Yuchun Ma has received the Distinguished Teaching Award at Tsinghua and the First-prize award in Teaching competition at Beijing in 2013.
Basic concepts and calculation techniques learned in high school.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- edX offers honour code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and
- XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)