The University of Amsterdam is now accepting applications for scholarship in sociology for 2016-17 academic year. The scholarship is available for postdoctoral research program at the University of Amsterdam.
This project aims to study how inequality of educational opportunity in a particular educational system is created by behaviors and beliefs of relevant actors concerning children’s school careers, including teachers, parents, and children themselves.
Established in 1632 by municipal authorities and later renamed for the city of Amsterdam, the University of Amsterdam is the third oldest university in the Netherlands.
Course Level: Positions are available for Postdoctoral researchers.
Study Subject: Positions are awarded in the field of Sociology within the Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the Department of Sociology.
Scholarship Award: The full-time positions (38 hours per week) are for three years, starting around 1 November 2016 or as soon as possible thereafter. Depending on the candidate’s qualifications and experience the gross monthly salary will range from € 3,400 to € 4,654 (scale 11) gross per month, based on 38 hours a week, excl. 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% annual bonus.
Scholarship can be taken in Netherlands
Eligibility: Candidates should have the following credentials:
- a completed Ph.D. in sociology or a related discipline;
- a strong record in quantitative research methods, demonstrated by published research papers in academic journals;
- excellent written and spoken English;
- ability and interest to work in a team;
- Motivation to teach on different levels, e.g. bachelor and master courses.
Nationality: The students of Netherlands can apply for this position.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a completed Ph.D. in sociology or a related discipline.
How to Apply: All correspondence will be in English. Applicants should send their application to application-soc-fmg-at-uva.nl not later than 4 September 2016. The subject line of the e-mail message and the attachment must consist of ‘Postdoc IIL  or  + applicant’s last name’ (fill in  or  to designate for which position you apply, or [1 or 2] if you apply for both).
Please make sure to include the following documents in a single PDF attachment:
- motivation letter, including a statement of research plans (max 600 words);
- a full curriculum vitae, including the list of publications;
- names and contact details of three recommenders.
As separate files:
- two papers that provide evidence of writing, analytical and theoretical skills.
At a later stage letters of reference may be asked from a senior academic who is knowledgeable about your work.
Application Deadline: Application deadline is 4-September-2016.