The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization offers the UNESCO/Sri Lanka Co-Sponsored Undergraduate Fellowships for potential students. These fellowships are available for the students of Kenya and Saint Kitts and Nevis to conduct the study in Sri Lanka.
The aim of the fellowships is to enhance the strategic objective of UNESCO and promoting the implementation of Sustainable Development Goals.
UNESCO is responsible for coordinating international cooperation in education, science, culture and communication. It strengthens the ties between nations and societies and mobilises the wider public so that each child and citizen.
Course Level: These fellowships are available to pursue an undergraduate degree.
Study Subject: These fellowships are awarded in the following fields:
- BSc in Agricultural Technology and Management, University of Peradeniya (4 years) for candidates from Kenya
- BSc in Environmental Conservation and Management in the direction of Climate Change Studies, University of Kelaniya (3 years) for candidates from Saint Kitts and Nevis
Scholarship Award: These fellowships will cover the followings:
- The expense of a round-trip international travel to and from Sri Lanka for the academic year 2017-2018;
- A one-time allowance of US$ 350 (three hundred and fifty US dollars), which will be paid prior to the fellow’s departure to Sri Lanka, to cover their immediate expense;
- A monthly allowance of US$ 150 (one hundred and fifty US dollars) for eleven (11) months; and
- A termination allowance of US$ 200 (two hundred US dollars) to cover excess luggage charges at the time of return to home country.
Numbers of Scholarships: Two fellowships are available.
Scholarship can be taken in Sri Lanka
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following area for these fellowships:
- Candidates must have impressive results at an examination deemed equivalent to G.C.E. (Advanced Level) Examination of Sri Lanka or qualifications required for admission to a university in their home country to follow a bachelor’s degree. All required passes should be obtained in one and the same sitting.
- English proficiency is required.
- Between 16-22 years of age.
- Be in good health.
Nationality: Kenya and Saint Kitts and Nevis students can apply for these fellowships
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have impressive results at an examination deemed equivalent to G.C.E. (Advanced Level) Examination of Sri Lanka.
English Language Requirement: Applicants must be proficient in English.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via email.
- Applicants should complete the application form as prescribed and attach the following application documents in duplicate:
- Duly completed application;
- Certified copies of academic transcripts of G.C.E.A/L (General Certificate of Education Qualification, Advanced Level) and G.C.E.O/L (General Certificate of Education Qualification, Ordinary Level) or their equivalents in the relevant field of study in which the scholarships are offered;
- Candidates are advised to attach the original letter obtained from the Board of Examinations to prove that his/her educational qualification are equivalent to the G.C.E.(A/L) Examination in Sri Lanka, or qualifications required for admission to a university in their home country to pursue a bachelor’s degree.
- Certified copies of educational certificates and the statement of results of the corresponding qualifying examinations;
- Certified copies of School Leaving Certificates;
- For non-native English speakers: a certificate of English language proficiency (i.e. achieving no less than 525 in TOFEL or 6.5 in IELTS), or a letter from competent authorities of the respective countries confirming that the medium of instruction of the applicant’s previous education is English;
- Three photographs;
- Birth certificate;
- Certified copies of data pages of the applicant’s passport (the validity of the passport shall remain 1 year after the applicant’s arrival in Sri Lanka);
- The health certificate completed in English.
- email to s.bantchev(at)unesco.org and b.qin(at)unesco.org.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is July 11, 2017.