Applications are invited for University of Queensland (UQ) Development Fellowships awarded to early career researchers in Australia. International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship program.
The University of Queensland Development Fellowships aim to foster the most promising early career researchers and retain mid-career and senior academic staff of exceptional caliber at the University.
The University of Queensland (UQ) is one of Australia’s leading research and teaching institutions. The University strives for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer, and application of knowledge. UQ ranks in the top 50 as measured by the Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
Study Subject: All UQ Development Fellowship applicants must apply under one of the following 2018 Capacity Areas, and are required to spend 20% of their time on the Capacity Area during the Fellowship term:
Scholarship Award: Duration and Level of Funding:
- The Fellowship must be taken up no earlier than 1 January 2018 and no later than 1 January 2019.
- Full-time UQ Development Fellowships are awarded for up to a maximum three (3) year duration (excluding any approved periods of suspension). As above, maximum award duration of four (4) years may be afforded to Fellows who complete period/s of the Fellowship on a part-time basis (excluding any approved periods of suspension).
- The UQ Development Fellowships scheme does not provide research support funding. It is expected that recipients already have, and are able to obtain, research support from external sources.
- UQ Development Fellowships are not bankable or transferable (that is, recipients relinquish these Fellowships on accepting another position or Fellowship).
- UQ Development Fellowships will be funded centrally in combination with the host Faculty/Institute and/or School/Centre.
- Eligible salary funding will be calculated at a flat per annum central contribution amount (to be indexed each year) for each of the academic appointment levels from Level A to E. Indicative central award amounts for 2018 are outlined below:
|Academic Level||Central Award Amount (Salary and On-Costs)|
The remaining co-funding is to be provided exclusively by the nominated host School/Centre/Faculty or exclusively by the host Institute for the Fellowship. For example the host unit cannot seek reimbursement for teaching activities if these activities are to be undertaken in a different unit.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken in Australia
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
A) University of Queensland Postdoctoral Research Fellowships (UQ PDRF): UQ Postdoctoral Research Fellowships are open to early career applicants who:
- Have been awarded a PhD on or after 1 August 2012; or
- Have been awarded a PhD on or after 1 August 2008, together with periods of eligible, non-overlapping career interruption that if taken into account would be commensurate with a PhD being awarded on or after 1 August 2012. Eligible career interruptions are defined as career’s responsibility; disruption due to international relocation for post-doctoral studies or other research employment not exceeding three months per international relocation; illness; maternity or parental leave; unemployment and/or on research employment not concurrent with research employment. NB: Periods of career interruption must occur between the PhD award date and the closing time for submission of applications.
- UQ PDRF applicants may be either external or internal to the University. Any UQ PDRF applicant who is employed by The University of Queensland (UQ) at the time of application, or who has received a doctorate from UQ and has not subsequently held a position at another university or research institution (Internal PDRF), must provide a compelling academic and/or social justification indicating why their research needs to be continued at postdoctoral level at this institution. UQ Faculties and Institutes may apply this criterion based on their own strategic priorities, and in some cases, may determine not to accept proposals from Internal PDRFs. Internal PDRFs should, therefore, seek advice from the relevant Faculty/Institute Associate Dean (Research) or Deputy Director (Research) prior to submitting an application.
B) University of Queensland Strategic Research Fellowship (UQ SRF): UQ Strategic Research Fellowships are open to current UQ academic staff who hold (or have held):
- A UQ Vice-Chancellor’s Senior Research Fellowship, ending in 2016, 2017 or 2018; or
- A competitively-funded Fellowship/Award from the ARC, NHMRC or Queensland State Government ending in 2016, 2017 or 2018, where the applicant does not hold a banked UQ Vice-Chancellor’s Senior Research Fellowship ending in 2019 or later. Preference will be given to applicants who do not already hold a continuing UQ appointment.
Nationality: International applicants are eligible to apply for this fellowship program.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have been awarded a PhD on or after 1 August 2012.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted using the UQR&I Online Forms interface no later than 5:00 pm Friday 8 September 2017. Submitted proposals will be routed to the relevant School/Centre/Institute and then to the Faculty/Institute via the online system. Faculty/Institute recommendations and rankings will be due to UQR&I by 5:00 pm Friday 13 October 2017 and must be provided using the Faculty/Institute Recommendation and Ranking Spreadsheet available on the UQR&I website.
- Step 1: Join the UQR & I Mailing List. Official announcements and UQR&I update regarding the scheme will be sent via the Mailing List.
- Step 2: Familiarise yourself with the key UQ documentation (see below).
- Step 3: After familiarising yourself with the eligibility and selection criteria, click on the link below to access UQR&I Online Forms and begin completing your proposal.
- Step 4: Submit you’re completed and validated Application Form to the host School/Centre/Institute, using the online system by 00 pm 8 September 2017.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is September 8, 2017.