Funds are available through the Office of the Vice President for Research for postdoctoral fellowships that support the University of Kentucky’s compelling interest in diversity. The University Research Postdoctoral Fellowship is open to all qualified individuals with consideration given to women interested in pursuing a program of advanced research training in fields in which they are underrepresented including, but not limited to, engineering, life sciences and physical sciences.
Application deadline is November 1, 2017.
Fellowship recipients pursue an individualized research program under the mentorship of one or more UK professors and actively participate in departmental and professional research related activities. Fellows play a lead role in designing, developing and implementing research programs that contribute to a department’s overall graduate education and research mandates.
Applicants must be eligible to compete for federally-funded postdoctoral grants. This includes the eligibility requirement that, by the time of award, the individual must be a citizen or a non-citizen national of the United States or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence. Applicants must have completed the doctoral degree within the past two years or will complete the doctoral degree before the date of appointment. Preference will be given to applicants who do not have a prior or present postdoctoral appointment at UK. Applicants who received their PhD at UK must be affiliated with a research group other than the one in which they did their prior research. The goal is to broaden the research experience and training for the fellowship recipient.
Selection criteria include:
- Evidence of scholarship with competitive potential for a tenure-track faculty appointment at a research university
- Compatibility of specific research interests with those present in doctorate-granting units at UK
- Quality of the fellowship proposal
- Strong support from mentor and references
- Compelling argument that the appointment would contribute to increasing the diversity within the research or professional area
The fellowship provides a $47,476 stipend plus benefits. In addition, the fellow receives $2,000 for support of research activities. Fellowships are available for up to two years. The initial appointment is for 12 months, but recipients may apply for a second year.
Application dossier should contain, in this order and as a single PDF document:
- Letter of application that should address how participation in this program would contribute to the compelling interest of diversity at the University of Kentucky and in their profession.
- Curriculum Vitae, including the references providing letters of recommendation.
- An original research proposal written independently by the applicant in a way that non-experts can evaluate (1,500 words or less; figures, schemas and references are not included in this total).
- Sample publications or dissertation chapters (no more than 2)
In addition, arrange to have the following sent to vprgrants-at-uky.edu with the applicants name in the subject line.
- Three letters of recommendation
- A letter from the potential UK mentor
- Mentor’s curriculum vitae, including current and pending funding (5 page limit)
- A letter from the potential UK departmental chair indicating endorsement and appropriate departmental resources such as space and computer support
Completed applications should be emailed to vprgrants-at-uky.edu by November 1, 2017. Indicate program name on subject line.