The Bryan Foundation is awarding a new PhD Scholarship in the Earth Sciences valued a $150,000. The WH Bryan Scholarship is to support a new student and project who have already enrolled in or commenced a PhD program, will not be eligible.
The aim of the WH Bryan Scholarship is to advance the understanding of Queensland Earth Sciences by addressing a globally significant problem leading to impactful outcomes, with the supported project to be led by an outstanding PhD candidate.
The University of Queensland is a research university primarily located in Queensland’s capital city, Brisbane.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
Course Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in the field of Earth Sciences.
Scholarship Award: The scholarship:
- Will be awarded for the first time in June 2018. The host university will administer scholarship funds;
- Will provide $32,000 per year stipend and $18,000 per year towards project research costs over three years;
- Will provide flexibility to the supervisory team in terms of managing research support, such as allowing research support funds to be used to provide a six month scholarship extension;
- Is to support some international activities by the scholar such as international conference presentations, field workshops and laboratory work; and
- Has some funding exclusions, including tuition fees (required for international students), salaries of supervisory staff and large equipment purchases (e.g., >$10,000). Full details on funding exclusions will be made available in February 2018.
Number of Scholarships: Not given
Scholarship can be taken in Australia
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Australian and international students are eligible to apply.
- The successful candidate must be hosted at one of the three tertiary institutions in Queensland that teach/research in Earth Sciences, being The University of Queensland, Queensland University of Technology and James Cook University.
- The Scholarship is available for domestic or international students with the aim of supporting developing researchers in obtaining a highly valued research experience in Queensland.
- The WH Bryan Scholarship is to support a new student and project. Students that have already received or accepted a PhD scholarship offer, and/or who have already enrolled in, or commenced a PhD program, will not be eligible.
English Language Requirements: Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.
Each application is to include information on:
- PhD Candidate – curriculum vitae, academic transcripts and a brief statement outlining why they are applying and how does this fit into their future career
- Project description
- Research significance
- Supervisory team CV
- Research environment
How to Apply:
The main written application is expected to be no more than 10 pages. Each application must be submitted from the host university.