Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong offers PhD Fellowship Scheme for international students in Hong Kong. More than 250 PhD Fellowships will be awarded for a period of up to three years in the 2019/2020 academic year.
Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities.
User Review( votes)
The Research Grants Council (RGC), which was established in 1991, operates under the aegis of the University Grants Committee (UGC) and functions as an advisory body on research matters within the organizational structure of the Committee.
For applicants from non-English speaking universities, unless they provide proof that English is the language of instruction for all courses, they are required to attach score results of TOEFL or IELTS in their PhD applications to the universities concerned.
- Application Deadline: December 1, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing PhD degree at eight institutions mentioned above.
- Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded to study any of the courses offered by the City University of Hong Kong; Hong Kong Baptist University; Lingnan University; The Chinese University of Hong Kong; The Hong Kong Institute of Education; The Hong Kong Polytechnic University; The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology; The University of Hong Kong.
- Award: The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$301,200 (approximately US$38,600) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$12,600 (approximately US$1,600) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years.
- Number of Awards: 250 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2019/20 academic year*. For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities.
- Nationality: International students
- The award can be taken in Hong Kong
- Eligible Countries: International students can apply for this PhD Fellowship Scheme.
- Entrance Requirements: Candidates who are seeking admission as new full time PhD students in the following eight universities, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
- English Language Requirements: For applicants from non-English speaking universities, unless they provide proof that English is the language of instruction for all courses, they are required to attach score results of TOEFL or IELTS in their PhD applications to the universities concerned. This requirement is exempted if their proposed PhD studies/programmes are specifically in non-English medium, e.g. in Chinese language. Please note that since the UGC-funded universities determine the admission requirements of their PhD programmes, whether applicants need to submit results of any other specific tests is subject to the requirements of individual universities. In general, good results obtained from an open examination widely recognised by international academic institutions will be very useful for universities and Selection Panels of the Scheme to assess one’s intellectual and language competency.
How to Apply: Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number by 1 December 2018 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00 before submitting applications for PhD admission to their desired universities.
Applicants may choose up to two programmes / departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2019/20. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programmes.
As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.