This summer Arizona State University is offering an open online course on English Composition. This course is intended for students proficient in English.
The overall objective of this course is to help in improving students’ writing skills. The credit-eligible course starts on June 11, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 18 hours/week
Subject: English Composition
Institution: Arizona State University
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Starts on June 11, 2018
Arizona State University has developed a new model for the American Research University, creating an institution that is committed to excellence, access and impact. Arizona State University and edX, innovative leaders in providing unprecedented access to education, have joined forces to create the Global Freshman Academy, offering a unique, cost effective way to break down the barriers to a quality education.
This online platform edX provides online courses from the world’s best universities. edX can empower applicant to build innovative applications, services, and experiences.
About This Course
Language, and the ability to communicate effectively are critical skills in the global economy. Writing and composition are vital to communicating applicant’s ideas clearly.
This introductory writing course will help them develop and express ideas effectively for a variety of purposes, audiences and occasions.
During the course, applicant will complete several major written projects, along with a reflection for each project. For each project, they can decide what level of technology they wish to use.
If applicant wish to earn university credit for the course, which will count as credit for ASU’s First-Year Composition course, University will ask them to complete a portfolio in which they demonstrate what they have learned. Specifically, applicant will address what they have learned in the course and provide evidence that they have acquired the skills and knowledge taught during the course.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts. This is a verified, earn credit, honor course.
Applicants will learn:
- Rhetorical Knowledge: how to craft your writing to meet the needs of specific audiences for specific purposes.
- Critical Thinking: how to make decisions about what to include and not include in your writing.
- Writing Processes: how to use invention, research, drafting, revising, and editing in your writing.
- Knowledge of Conventions: how to use various formats and stylistic choices, including genre conventions.
- Digital Technology: how to use diverse technologies to write more effectively and efficiently.
- Habits of Mind: how to benefit from curiosity, openness, engagement, creativity, persistence, responsibility, flexibility, and reflection.
Professor of English, Arizona State University
Lecturer, Arizona State University
Course Coordinator, Arizona State University
Students must be proficient in English.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org home page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)