Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, recently announced to accept application for Bill Gates Scholarship, also known as The Gates Millennium Scholars Program, that provide financial support every year to all eligible African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American or Hispanic American students.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation support the program every year through a grant, under which 1000 talented and eligible students are selected. All talented students receive a good-through-graduation financial support which they use to pursue higher education at any university or college of their choice.
Prime objective of Bill Gates Scholarship Program is to help talented students to become future leaders to develop a stronger society for people. Bill & Melinda Foundation support talents every year by providing scholarships to students from groups who otherwise might not have the chance to pursue and earn college degree.
This scholarship program is renewable and students are allowed to use it in their freshman, senior, junior, sophomore or graduate years. To become eligible, students must demonstrate financial need and even meet the eligibility requirements of Pell Grant. Students with Grade point average of 3.3 or above and passionate about leadership qualities and community services are invited for this scholarship program. Students are allowed to use the scholarship to pursue their higher education at any college or university of their choice.
The Gates Millennium Scholar Program was commenced in the year 1999 and focuses on promoting academic excellence and offering opportunities to outstanding students belonging to minority group. Since its inception, The Gates Millennium Scholar Program has been consistently providing significant financial support to minority students, helping them to reach their highest potential. This scholarship program basically aims to decrease financial burden from minority students with leadership qualities and high academic promise and have significant financial need.
Bill Gates Scholarship has successfully augmented the representation of these minority groups in a wide variety of disciplines including, public health, sciences, mathematics, library science, engineering, education and computer science, where these target groups are otherwise underrepresented severely, thus helping the society to get a diversified cadre of future leaders by promoting successful completion of doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees.
The Application Must Consist
- Student Application along with nominee personal information form
- Evaluation of academic record by previous educator and nominator form
- Evaluation of student’s leadership activities and community services along with recommender form
To become eligible, the students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian & Pacific Islander American or Hispanic American
- Must be a citizen, legal permanent or national resident of USA
- Must have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.3 or above
- The students need to ensure that they are enrolling for the first time at any US located or accredited college and university in the fall of 2017 for a full-time degree program and must be a first year student.
- Must demonstrate leadership qualities by participating in any community service, extra-curricular activities or other activities
- Must meet the Pell Grant eligibility criteria
- Must have financial need
The award amount ranges from $500 to $20,000 and the deadline set for accepting the last application is 15th January 2015. For more information about Bill Gates Scholarship you may refer the website.