Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) is offering free online course on Solar Energy: Photovoltaic (PV) Systems. Students will learn about the function and operation of various components including inverters, batteries, DC-DC converters and the grid.
In this eleven week course, applicant will explore the wide range of solar energy applications and learn to design a real PV installation with excellent performance and reliability. This course will start on November 28, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 11 weeks
Effort: 10 hours pw
Institution: Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $250
Session: Course Starts on November 28, 2017
Delft University of Technology is the largest and oldest technological university in the Netherlands. Our research is inspired by the desire to increase fundamental understanding, as well as by societal challenges.
About This Course
The course will cover design of photovoltaic systems, such as utility-scale solar farms or residential scale systems (on/off the grid).
Why Take This Course?
This course is part of the Solar Energy Engineering MicroMasters Program designed to cover all physics and engineering aspects of photovoltaics: photovoltaic energy conversion, technologies and systems.
- The effects of the position of the sun and solar irradiance on PV module performance
- Components of a PV-system: PV modules, inverters, DC-DC converters, batteries, charge controllers and cables
- How to design a PV-system ranging from a residential rooftop system to a utility scale solar farm
- The economics and ecology of PV-systems
Dr. Olindo Isabella is assistant professor in the Photovoltaics Material and Devices group at the TU Delft faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science. Between 2011 and 2012 he was visiting researcher at AIST (Tsukuba, Japan) working on high performance thin-film a-SiGe:H absorber for multi-junction thin-film silicon solar cells.
Dr. Ravi Vasudevan obtained his MSc and PhD from the Delft University of Technology. He has researched solar energy and is an expert in silicon heterojunction solar cells. He also is experienced in solar energy education.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)