Microsoft is offering free online course on Analyzing Big Data with Microsoft R Server. This course is part of the Microsoft Professional Program Certificate in Big Data.
In this four-week course, applicants will learn how to use Microsoft R Server to analyze large datasets using R, one of the most powerful programming languages. This course will start on October 1, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 2-4 hours pw
Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
Institution: Microsoft and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course Starts on October 1, 2017
We live in a mobile-first and cloud-first world. Computing is ubiquitous, and experiences span devices and exhibit ambient intelligence. Billions of sensors, screens and devices – in conference rooms, living rooms, cities, cars, phones, PCs – are forming a vast network and streams of data that simply disappear into the background of our lives.
About This Course
The open-source programming language R has for a long time been popular (particularly in academia) for data processing and statistical analysis. Among R’s strengths are that it’s a succinct programming language and has an extensive repository of third party libraries for performing all kinds of analyses. Together, these two features make it possible for a data scientist to very quickly go from raw data to summaries, charts, and even full-blown reports.
Why Take This Course?
In this course, we will show you how to use MRS to run an analysis on a large dataset and provide some examples of how to deploy it on a Spark cluster or a SQL Server database. Upon completion, you will know how to use R for big-data problems.
You will learn how to use MRS to read, process, and analyze large datasets including:
- Read data from flat files into R’s data frame object investigate the structure of the dataset and make corrections, and store prepared datasets for later use
- Prepare and transform the data
- Calculate essential summary statistics, do cross tabulation, write your own summary functions, and visualize data with the ggplot2 package
- Build predictive models, evaluate and compare models, and generate predictions on new data
Seth is a data scientist at Microsoft who specializes in training and consulting clients who use Microsoft R Server.
Jonathan works as a content developer and project manager for Microsoft focusing in Data and Analytics online training.
Familiarity with R
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)