The Harvard University is offering free online course on Ancient Masterpieces of World Literature. This short literature course, based on the first half of the Masterpieces of World Literature edX MOOC, examines how civilizations and cultures of the ancient world are themselves explained through literature and how that literature has continued to contribute to the understanding of those civilizations and cultures today.
In this eight week course, applicants will examine how cultures of the ancient world defined themselves through literature and how their vision of literature contributes to our understanding of civilization, culture, and literature today.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 3-6 hours pw
Institution: Harvard University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: At your own pace
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally.
About This Course
This short literature course, based on the first half of the Masterpieces of World Literature edX MOOC, examines how civilizations and cultures of the ancient world are themselves explained through literature and how that literature has continued to contribute to the understanding of those civilizations and cultures today.
Why Take This Course?
Cities, nations, and empires from antiquity through the middle ages drew on foundational histories and myths for their identities, about these narratives through generations of oral-storytelling and new writing technologies. These epics, story collections, and novels, which take a keen interest in heroic travelers, would eventually travel themselves, finding new global audiences as the first works of world literature.
- The early history of World Literature.
- How literary works are transformed by cultural transmission and modern recovery.
- How to critically analyze literary works.
- The significance of major technological advances in writing.
Ernest Bernbaum Professor of Literature
Byron and Anita Wien Professor of Drama and of English and Comparative Literature
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)