IsraelX is offering free online course on Arab-Islamic History: From Tribes to Empires. This course was produced at Tel Aviv University by TAU Online – learning innovation center.
In this nine-week course, applicants will learn about the history of the Arab and Muslim world during its first millennium, including political, social and cultural aspects. This course will start on December 19, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 9 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Institution: IsraelX and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for ?3181
Session: Course Starts on December 19, 2017
IsraelX is a national consortium of higher education institutions in Israel, led by the Council for Higher Education and the Ministry for Social Equality.
About This Course
This course was produced at Tel Aviv University by TAU Online – learning innovation center.
Why Take This Course?
Students will study this course in two parts. The first presents the main political events that set the chronological framework for the course, namely 6th century to the arrival of the Ottomans in the Middle East in the beginning of the 16th century. The second part delves into social and cultural realities of the medieval Middle East.
- How Islam rose as a new civilization in the Middle East.
- The main phases in medieval Arab and Islamic history.
- The role of the main political players within the Islamic community, state, and empire.
- How to interpret the characteristics of society and culture.
Prof. Miri Shefer-Mossensohn is a social and cultural historian of the pre-modern Islamic world.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)