The University of Michigan is offering free online course on Financial Institutions and Markets. The course will introduce the idea of information asymmetry and conflicts of interests among various stakeholders of the firm and how various financial securities overcome these conflicts.
In these thirty to forty hours, applicants will learn about the structure and design of global financial markets and institutions such as banks and credit rating agencies.
Course At A Glance
Length: self-paced; University expects you to complete the course in 30-40 hours
Effort: 30-40 hours pw
Subject: Economics & Finance
Institution: University of Michigan and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
About This Course
This finance course will expose learners to the workings of global financial markets, their key institutional features, and the theoretical underpinnings of their design. Topics will include different types of financial securities such as debt, equity, convertible debt, and preferred stocks traded in the market, their relative advantages and disadvantages and the roles of institutions such as banks, credit rating agencies and institutional investors (such as pension funds and activist investors) in these markets.
Why Take This Course?
This course is for learners broadly interested in financial markets, managers working in corporations or institutions and individuals planning to pursue a graduate degree in business (MBA).
- To understand how financial markets work and why they sometimes fail
- To evaluate the different financing options available with a firm
- To understand risk-return trade-off in different financial securities
Amiyatosh Purnanandam is a Professor of Finance at the Ross School of Business (RSB), University of Michigan. Amiyatosh has a PhD from Cornell University, an MBA from the Indian Institute of Management, and a B. Tech. (Electrical Engineering) from the Indian Institute of Technology.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)