The EPFL is offering free online course on Introduction to Choice Models. The course relies on concrete case studies with real data sets, which are provided in course content.
The course introduces the theoretical foundations to choice modeling and describes the steps of operational modeling. This course will start on January 15, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 7 weeks
Effort: 5-6 hours pw
Institution: EPFL and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on January 15, 2018
EPFL is the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne. The past decade has seen EPFL ascending to the very top of European institutions of science and technology: it is ranked # 1 in Europe in the field of engineering by the Times Higher Education (based on publications and citations), Leiden Rankings, and the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
About This Course
Human behavior is complex and unpredictable. Or is it?
The focus of this course is methods for predicting the behavior using mathematical models. More specifically, we’ll explore choice modeling in order to obtain disaggregate demand models.
Why Take This Course?
Focusing on the logit model, the course covers the specification of the model, the estimation of its parameters, the validation process, and its application. Exercises using the software Biogeme are also part of its makeup. The course relies on concrete case studies with real data sets, which are provided in course content.
- The behavioral assumptions associated with disaggregate choice models
- The derivation of operational models
- The art of model specification
- The estimation of model parameters from choice data
- The testing of model specifications
- Concrete applications of the estimated models
Michel Bierlaire holds a PhD in Mathematical Sciences from the University of Namur, Belgium.
Virginie Lurkin holds a PhD in Economics and Management Sciences from HEC-Liège, Belgium.
Statistics (bachelor level), linear regression
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)