Columbia University is offering a free online course on Business Analytics: Theory and Practice. This course is about modeling and how computer models can support managerial decision making.
In this 12 week course, applicants will learn how to use data to develop insights and predictive capabilities to make better business decisions. The course will start on September 11, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 12 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours pw
Subject: Business and Management
Institution: Columbia University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $ 375
Session: Course Starts on September 11, 2017
Columbia University is one of the world’s most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis.
About This Course
This course is about modeling and how computer models can support managerial decision making. A model is a simplified representation of a real situation and modeling is the process of developing, analyzing and interpreting a model in order to help make better decisions. Models can be invaluable tools in managing and understanding the complexity and risk inherent in many business problems. As a result, models have become an increasingly important part of the business at all levels from daily operations to strategic decision making.
Why Take This Course?
This course will help learners become intelligent users and consumers of these models. To this end, we will cover the basic elements of modeling – how to formulate a model and how to use and interpret the information a model produces. The course emphasizes “learning by doing” so that students will be expected to formulate, solve, and interpret a number of different optimization and simulation models using Excel spreadsheets.
- To identify, evaluate, and capture business analytic opportunities that create business value
- Build models to support and help make managerial and business decisions
- Basic analytical methods and their applications
- Analyze case studies on organizations that successfully deployed analytical techniques
Omar Besbes is an Associate Professor in the Decision, Risk, and Operations division at the Graduate School of Business, Columbia University. Omar is a graduate of Ecole Polytechnique (France) and received an M.Sc. from Stanford University in 2000 and a Ph.D. from Columbia University in 2008. Before joining Columbia, he was on the faculty at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.
Adam Elmachtoub is an Assistant Professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research at Columbia University, where he is also a member of the Data Science Institute. He previously received his B.S. degree from Cornell in 2009, and his Ph.D. from MIT in 2014.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the orghomepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)