Delft University of Technology is offering free online course on Responsible Innovation: Ethics, Safety and Technology. The course is for all engineering students who are looking for a methodical approach to judge responsible innovations from a broader – societal- perspective.
In this seven week course, applicants will learn how to deal with risks and ethical questions raised by development of new technologies. This course will start on October 10, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 7 weeks
Effort: 4-6 hours pw
Institution: Delft University of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $50
Session: Course Starts on October 10, 2017
Delft University of Technology is the largest and oldest technological university in the Netherlands. Our research is inspired by the desire to increase fundamental understanding, as well as by societal challenges.
About This Course
They are strongly dependent on social acceptance and cannot escape public debates of regulation and ethics. If we want to innovate, we have to do that responsibly. We need to reflect on –and include- our societal values in this process. This course will give you a framework to do so.
Why Take This Course?
The first part of the course focuses on ethical questions/framework and concerns with respect to new technologies.
The second part deals with (unknown) risks and safety of new technologies including a number of qualitative and quantitative risk assessment methods.
The last part of the course is about the new, value driven, design process which take into account our societal concerns and conflicting values.
- Understand the urgent need to include ethical questions with respect to (new) technology.
- Know various ways/instruments to analyze risks of new technologies, both forward looking as backward looking (causes of accidents)
- Understand various types of innovation (like radical, niche, incremental, frugal ) and the conditions for success
- Know how to deal with unknown risks (deep uncertainty) when it comes to new technologies
- Are able to critically reflect on new technologies from an ethical and risk perspective (case studies).
- Understand the concept of responsible innovation and Value Sensitive Design (VSD) and the implications for the design process
Jeroen van den Hoven
Course director is Jeroen van den Hoven, professor of Moral Philosophy at Delft University of Technology (Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management).
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)