Wits University is offering free online course on Results-Based Project Management: Monitoring and Evaluation. The course has been developed in partnership with CLEAR Anglophone Africa and draws upon the center’s experience in promoting the use of evidence-based systems across Africa to enhance development practice.
In this eight-week course, applicants will learn how to use a results-based approach to design and manage public sector programs that deliver tangible benefits and optimize the use of resources. This Course starts on April 12, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 3 hours pw
Subject: Business and Management
Institution: Wits University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on April 12, 2017
The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, also known as Wits University is a leading, internationally-ranked, research-intensive University located in Johannesburg, South Africa, the economic heartland of Africa. Committed to academic and research excellence, Wits generates high level scarce skills for a globally competitive world, while addressing local social and economic development. At the forefront of a changing society, Wits is a social leader, dedicated to advancing the public good.
About This Course
In this course, you will learn the basics of results-based project management. After an introduction to the results framework and its associated performance indicators, you will learn how monitoring systems and evaluations provide a crucial source of evidence for management decision-making.
Why Take This Course?
This project management course is designed to address the growing demand for managers in Africa and around the world, who can use results-based approaches to design, implement and manage an ever growing range of programs and projects. Monitoring and evaluation (key results based management tools) are increasingly called upon to public service, non-governmental sectors and multilateral development agencies to help ensure that resources are put to optimum use and that citizens and beneficiaries are assured of receiving the benefits that are committed to them.
- The rationale for using results to define program and project achievement
- The theory of the “Results Chain”
- Using performance indicators to measure progress
- Using evaluations to appraise the long-term value and worth of a program
Kieron is a Masters Graduate from the WITs School of Public and Development Management with Distinctions in Monitoring and Evaluation.
Basic project management
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)