The Chalmers University of Technology is offering a free online course on Road Traffic Safety in Automotive Engineering. The course will be based on recorded lectures that use videos and animations to enhance the experience.
In this eight week course, applicants will learn the fundamentals of passive and active safety in automotive engineering. This course will start on May 2, 2019.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 10-20 hours pw
Institution: Chalmers University of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $200
Session: Course Starts on May 2, 2019
The Chalmers University of Technology conducts research and offers education in technology, science, shipping and architecture with a sustainable future as our global vision.
About This Course
Engineers in the automotive industry are required to understand basic safety concepts. With increasing worldwide efforts to develop connected and self-driving vehicles, traffic safety is facing huge new challenges. This course is for students or professionals who have a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar and who are interested in a future in the vehicle industry or in road design and traffic engineering.
Why Take This Course?
This course teaches the fundamentals of active safety (systems for avoiding crashes or reducing crash consequences) as well as passive safety (systems for avoiding or reducing injuries). Key concepts include in-crash protective systems, collision avoidance, and safe automated driving.
- Current and next means to reduce traffic-related fatalities and injuries
- Car structure design and crash configuration influence on the vehicle occupant loading
- Principles of future integrated safety systems
- Human body biomechanical and physiological response
- Simulations for crash safety assessment
- Importance of active preventive safety and the complexity of the driver/vehicle/ environment (DVE) system
- Sensor principles and the design and functions of current active safety systems
Professor Mats Svensson has more than 30 years of experience in injury prevention, I have finalized his PhD-thesis on neck injury biomechanics, including animal testing, dummy development, and seat design.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant signs up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)