The University of East Anglia is offering free online course on Study Skills for International Students. This course looks at some of the key skills that international students need in order to be successful at a UK university.
The course has been developed by experienced INTO tutors who work with international students to make sure they give good advice and practical lessons on preparation for study at a UK university. The course will start on May 21, 2018.
Course At Glance
- Length: 4 weeks
- Effort: 2 hours/week
- Subject: Study Skills for International Students
- Institution: University of East Anglia and Future learn
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: Course starts on May 21, 2018
The University of East Anglia is an internationally renowned university providing top quality academic, social and cultural facilities to over 15,000 students from over 100 countries around the globe.
About This Course
This course looks at some of the key skills that international students need in order to be successful at a UK university. It is special because of the way it has been produced. Our English language and study skills teachers at INTO UEA surveyed and interviewed students who had already successfully completed a course and progressed to study at the University. We asked them about the things that they had found most challenging when they started their university programme. This course has been developed as a result of what those international students told us, as well as the experience INTO UEA colleagues have in preparing international students for university study.
Why Take This Course?
Over the four weeks of the course you will hear top tips from international students already studying at university in the UK. You will also hear teachers talking about the key skills that international students need to do well. Our aim is to give you the best possible chance of success in your studies.
Each week there will be videos, articles, quizzes and discussions that will help you develop your study skills. At the end of each week there will be an exercise which will review what has been learned. There will also be the opportunity for you to discuss your ideas with other learners on the course.Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Identify expectations for UK standard academic writing and use techniques to improve.
- Identify expectations for research in standard UK Higher Education Institutions and use techniques to improve research capabilities.
- Identify UK expectations for listening and discussing in standard academic contexts and use techniques to improve academic conversation skills.
- Identify expectations in UK for data presentations and access resources to help improve.
This course is designed for students who do not speak English as their first language. Everyone is welcome to take part in the course. However, students who have an IELTS level of 5.0 and above will gain most from studying on this programme.
Lecturer in Mathematics at University of East Anglia. Research in fluid flows — aerodynamics and acoustics. ‘Follow’ me using the button below to see my comments in your activity feed.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).