Tokyo Institute of Technology is offering free online course on Science and Engineering Ethics. This course teaches traditional preventive ethics but emphasizes asp rational ethics.
In this six-week course, applicants will learn both traditional and asp rational ethics in science and engineering to improve human well-being. This course will start on June 28, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 2-3 hours pw
Institution: Tokyo Institute of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $70
Session: Course Starts on June 28, 2017
Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) is the top research-based national university in Japan dedicated to science and engineering higher education with a history spanning over 130 years. Tokyo Tech consists of undergraduate and graduate programs, and many research laboratories spread over its three campuses in Tokyo and Yokohama.
About This Course
Want to learn how to identify and solve every day ethical issues in engineering and science? If yes, this is the course for you! Ethics plays an integral role when it comes to engineering and science practice.
Why Take This Course?
The learning objectives of this course are as follows:
- To recognize the significant social and environmental impact of engineering/scientific solutions.
- To apply a practical seven-step ethical guide to real-world cases.
- To critique, analyze, and develop best ethical solutions across micro- to meta- levels toward real-world problems.
- To understand how one behaves in an organization professionally as an ethical engineer.
- The social and environmental impact engineering has on society
- Asp rational ethics and preventive ethics
- Values which scientists and engineers share
- A method for ethical decision making
- Case analysis skills
Jun is a Professor in the Institute for Liberal Arts as well as in the Department of Human and Social Sciences within the School of Environment and Society at the Tokyo Institute of Technology. He received his B.A. in Liberal Arts (Physics) and M.A.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)