Applications are invited for EDUFI fellowships programme available for students and researchers from all countries. Fellowships are available for pursuing doctoral studies at a Finnish university in Finland.
The aim of the CIMO fellowship programme is to enable and encourage academically able students from any nationality.
Fellowships are mainly targeted at those doctoral level students who will be doing their whole Doctorate or Double Doctorate at a Finnish university.
If applicants currently hold a master’s degree (or equivalent) then usually they are eligible to apply for Doctoral studies in Finland. Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- Application Deadline: There are no annual application deadlines in the EDUFI Fellowship programme. Applications may be considered at all times. However, applications should be submitted at least 5 months before the intended scholarship period. Decisions will be made within approximately 3 months after receipt of application.
- Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing doctoral studies at a Finnish university in Finland.
- Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in all academic fields.
- Scholarship Award: The monthly allowance is 1500 euros. The scholarship is intended to cover living expenses in Finland for a single person. No additional allowance for housing is paid. Expenses due to international travel to and from Finland are not covered by the programme.
- Number of Scholarships: Not given
- Nationality: International students (emphasis is given to applicants from Russia, China, India, Chile, Brazil and North America)
- Scholarship can be taken in Finland
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: International students (emphasis is given to applicants from Russia, China, India, Chile, Brazil and North America) can apply for these CIMO fellowships.
- Entrance Requirements
- The primary target groups in the CIMO Fellowship programme are such Doctoral level students who will be doing their Doctorate (or Double Doctorate) at a Finnish university.
- Visiting Doctoral-level students and researchers who are doing their Doctorate degree at some foreign university can also be considered eligible, provided that the motivation letter of the hosting Finnish university department presents exceptionally good grounds for such an application.
- The programme is open for applicants from all countries. However, when decisions on scholarship are made, emphasis is given to applicants from Russia, China, India, Chile, Brazil and North America.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: The prerequisite for applying is that the visiting researcher must have established contacts with a Finnish host university – please see the section Doctoral Admissions for further information (you’ll find links to the universities’ Doctoral Admissions pages there). You are also advised to visit the Finnish universities’ own websites for detailed information on the Doctoral level study and research options the universities offer.
If a Finnish university is willing to host you, then the Finnish university department wishing to host you can apply for the CIMO Fellowship on your behalf. That is, only the hosting Finnish university can act as an ‘applicant’ in the CIMO Fellowship programme.
The application form for the CIMO Fellowship can be downloaded below. Additionally, the following attachments are required for a CIMO Fellowship application:
- A motivation letter from the applicant (the hosting university), max 1 page
- Complete CV of the scholarship candidate
- Research plan (3-5 pages)
Two printed and signed copies of the application with required attachments should be submitted to the following address: Finnish National Agency for Education, PO Box 380, 00531 Helsinki. Please mark the envelope with “CIMO Fellowships”.