The Centre for Research, agricultural Advancement, Teaching Excellence and Sustainability in Food and Nutritional Security (CREATES) is offering up to 25 scholarships for master students starting in 2018. Applicants must have proven excellent English oral and writing skills.
This newly established African Centre of Excellence is aimed at students who are gifted, passionate, creative and free thinkers, innovative, and who will be job-creators rather than job-seekers in the future.
The University of Dar es Salaam is the oldest and biggest public university in Tanzania. It is situated on the western side of the city of Dar es Salaam, occupying 1,625 acres on the observation hill, 13 kilometres from the city centre. It was established on 1st July 1970, through parliament act no. 12 of 1970 and all the enabling legal instruments of the constituent colleges. Prior to 1970, the university college, Dar es Salaam had started on 1st July 1961 as an affiliate college of the University of London.
- Applications deadline: November 20, 2017
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue Master degree programme.
- Study Subject: CREATES encompasses Six main streams, i.e., “Sustainable Agriculture”, “Food and Nutrition Sciences”, Master of Science in Conservation Management of African Ecosystems (CMAE), “Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Management”, Clinical Human Nutrition and Dietetics as well as “Global Health and Biomedical Sciences”, which includes MSc program in “Nanoscience and Drug Development ”.
- Scholarship Award: The Master´s scholarship programme will run for two years starting January 2018. All admitted students will receive a partial scholarship over this time frame. The partial scholarship will cover university fees and direct student costs (i.e., a monthly stipend at the rate of US$ 200 per month to cover living expenses (meals and upkeep allowance) while in Tanzania. Accommodation fees are being paid directly to NM-AIST which provides student hostels. Support to attend prescribed courses and/or undertake research in partner institutions will be covered as will be determined by CREATES Management Team and the respective students and supervisors. Research costs are only covered by a minimum amount and all students are required to apply for additional funding to cover their research activities.
- Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 25 scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Tanzania
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants for this Master’s Degree programme scholarship should have the following qualifications, knowledge and essential attributes:
- A minimum of Upper Second Class BSc degree in Life Sciences or equivalently related fields such as Nutrition, Medicine (human and veterinary), Pharmacy, Agriculture, Agronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Ecology, etc. The BSc. degree should have been acquired from an accredited university within Africa or other International Institutions recognized by the Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU).
- Candidates that hold unclassified degrees (e.g. MD, BVM, and DDS) shall have at least an overall of “C” grade and an average of “B” grade in the relevant subject or field of his/her specialization.
- Be able to publish scientifically in high impact peer-reviewed international journals during the course of their studies.
- Have an interest in the above teaching and research approach and be able to work independently and in a team.
- Must be 35 years of age
- Have proven excellent English oral and writing skills
- Be willing to specialize in one of the four CREATES pillars.
- Have a high degree of computer competence and familiarity with modern statistical software
- Have the ability to work in multi-disciplinary and international teams.
- Be self-motivated and be able to work under pressure to meet deadlines when required.
- Females and regional candidates are strongly and highly encouraged to apply
- Applicants must meet and fulfil minimum NM-AIST admission requirement to be considered for scholarship including filling application form and payment of application fees.
- Applicants with NM-AIST provisional/admission letters and meeting call requirement are not subjected to fill application for admission. They are required to attach their provisional/admission letter together with other required documents.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have proven excellent English oral and writing skills.
How to Apply: Deadline for this application is November 20, 2017, and interviews will be held in the week from Nov 28th until Dec 1, 2017. Recruitment will be in January 2018. All application documents should be sent electronically via e-mail.
Mode of application
- Applicants should provide their Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A one-page abstract of their BSc thesis if available
- A recommendation letter from your latest employer and/or previous supervisor/educator
- Certified copies of their academic certificates.