The Heriot-Watt University offers Doctoral Training Partnerships, James Watt Scholarships and Start-up Scholarships in the School of Engineering & Physical Sciences for 2018.
Heriot-Watt University is a public university based in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was established in 1821 as the world’s first mechanics’ institute. It has campuses in the Scottish Borders, Orkney, Dubai, and Putrajaya in Malaysia.
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
- Application Deadline: January 31, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue a PhD research program.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the School of Engineering & Physical Sciences for 2018.
- Scholarship Award: For James Watt Scholarship students, the annual stipend will be £15k and full fees will be paid for 3 years. For Start-up Scholarships, the annual stipend will be approx. £14,553 and full fees will be paid for 3 years. Whilst for DTP Scholarship students, the annual stipend will be approx. £14,553 and full fees will be paid, for 3.5 years. Where a project does not specify, it is potentially eligible for both a DTP and James Watt Scholarship.
- Nationality: UK/EU applicants
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given.
- Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: DTP’s are only open to UK/EU applicants.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following requirements:
All applicants must have or expect to have a 1st class MChem, MPhys, MSci, MEng or equivalent degree by Autumn 2018. Selection will be based on academic excellence and research potential, and all short-listed applicants will be interviewed (in person or by Skype). DTP’s are only open to UK/EU applicants.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Important Information before you Apply
- When applying through the Heriot-Watt on-line system please ensure you provide the following information:
- This information will greatly assist us in tracking your application.
- Please note that once you have submitted your application, it will not be considered until you have uploaded your CV and transcripts.
- Applications must be made through the Heriot-Watt on-line application system.
- All applications must be received by Wednesday 31st January 2018. All successful candidates must commence studies by Saturday 1st December 2018 at the very latest.
- (a) in ‘Study Option’
You will need to select ‘Edinburgh’ and ‘Postgraduate Research’. ‘Programme’ presents you with a drop-down menu. Choose Chemistry Ph.D., Physics Ph.D., Chemical Engineering Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering PhD or Electrical PhD as appropriate and select October 2018 for study option (this can be updated at a later date if required)
- (b) in ‘Research Project Information’
Applicants will be provided with a free text box for details of your research project. Enter Title and Reference number of the project for which you are applying and also enter the supervisor’s name.