The Open University is offering free online course on Listening and Presenting: Learning English for Academic Purposes. This online course helps you to develop these skills while studying in English.
In this six week course, applicants will improve your listening and note-taking skills, plus your understanding of academic vocabulary, then create your own presentation. This course will start on January 8, 2018.
Course At Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Listening and Presenting: Learning English for Academic Purposes
Institution: The Open University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on January 8, 2018
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission is to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
About This Course
Being able to listen to others and present your own ideas effectively will help you to succeed at university. This online course helps you to develop these skills while studying in English. It shows you effective strategies for listening and note taking, to help you identify and record the key points in other people’s presentations.
Why Take This Course?
Students will bring everything you learn together, to create and practice delivering your own spoken presentation and receive detailed Educator feedback.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Develop key strategies and skills while listening to lectures.
- Improve your understanding of key academic language and specialist vocabulary.
- Compare note-making systems and choose the appropriate one for your purposes.
- Identify and analyse a lecture’s structure.
- Describe and differentiate between fact and opinion in academic presentations.
- Assess the key elements of a good presentation.
- Investigate vocabulary building strategies and develop your dictionary skills.
- Improve your confidence when presenting to other people.
- Evaluate the reliability of academic sources.
- Collect together a range of sources to use in your own presentation.
- Collaborate with other learners by engaging in peer-to-peer feedback.
- Demonstrate everything you’ve learned by planning, creating and delivering your own presentation as your assignment.
This course is designed for students who want to study in English at university. We recommend an existing English language level of IELTS 5.5.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).