Applications are invited for Fulbright Nehru doctoral research fellowships available for Indian scholars for 2018/2019 academic year. Indian scholars can apply for these Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships.
Funded by the U.S. Government, the Fulbright Programme aims at achieving mutual understanding through academic and cultural exchange.
Fulbright scholarships will be awarded to applicants who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership qualities, and a commitment to improving cross cultural relations through international exchange.
- Application Deadline: June 15, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are awarded for doctoral degree programme.
- Study Subject: Applications are invited in the following fields only: Agricultural Sciences; Bioengineering; Computer Science (with emphasis on cyber security and digital economy); Economics; Education Policy and Planning; Energy Studies; International Law (limited to environmental law, immigration law, and labor law); International Security and Strategic Studies; Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications); Neurosciences; Public Health; Study of India (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts); Study of the United States (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts); Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management); Women’s and Gender Studies.
- Scholarship Award: The fellowships provide J-1 visa support, a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if any. Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the U.S. No allowances are provided for dependents. The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
- Number of Scholarships: Not given
- Nationality: Indian scholars
- Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Indian scholars can apply for these Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships.
- Entrance Requirements: In addition to the General Prerequisites:
- applicant should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the U.S. Applicant should be registered for his/her Ph.D. at an Indian institution by August 1, 2017. In the online application form, one of the referees must be the Ph.D. supervisor. S/he must comment on the research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicate the Ph.D. registration date and topic;
- This grant is intended for Ph.D. students to conduct research essential to their dissertations/thesis. Therefore, the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date should not be earlier than three months after Fulbright-Nehru grant end date. For example, if May 2020 is the grant end date, applicant cannot submit his/her thesis before August 2020. Please indicate the Ph.D. registration date and the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date in the Applicant Annexure. The applicant can download the Applicant Annexure from the USIEF website;
- If the applicant is employed, please follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. You can download the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form from the USIEF website; and
- the applicant should upload a ‘writing sample’ such as a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from the Master’s/M.Phil. thesis in the online application form.
Note: These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research. Applicants with Ph.D. degrees or those at the final stage of Ph.D. thesis submission will not be considered.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: The mode of application is online.
- Applications must be submitted online at:https://iie.embark.com/apply/ffsp
- Please carefully review the FNDR Applicant Instructions before starting your online application
- Please refer FNDR Applicant Checklist before submitting the application
- In addition, you must complete and upload the following documents on your online application: