The Ghent University is delighted to announce fully funded PhD Scholarship in Environmental Humanities in the Department of Literary Studies at Ghent University, Belgium, tenable for a period of up to four years.
Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
In order to be eligible applicants must have Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant field, such as English, Comparative Literature, or Environmental Humanities (candidates near to completion may also submit applications, indicating the expected date of the degree).
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in the field of Environmental Humanities.
- Scholarship Award: Conditions of employment:
- The position begins 1 October 2018.
- The scholarship is initially offered for a period of two years and can be renewed for another two-year period upon positive evaluation.
- The net amount of the scholarship will be approximately €1900 per month, gradually rising to approximately €2100 per month in the fourth year. The PhD student will also receive a holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus, and enjoy full social security coverage. Additional financial support is available for conference and workshop attendance.
- The PhD student will be based at Ghent University.
- The PhD student will complete the doctoral training programme offered by the Doctoral School of Arts, Humanities, and Law.
- Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Number of Scholarships: The project, which will employ four PhD students and one postdoctoral research fellow, will explore the role of the literary imagination, with a special focus on textual complexity and the tension between the global nature of ecological problems and culturally specific issues.
- Scholarship can be taken in Belgium
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
Candidates should have:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant field, such as English, Comparative Literature, or Environmental Humanities (candidates near to completion may also submit applications, indicating the expected date of the degree);
- An outstanding academic record;
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English;
- A reading knowledge of at least one of the other three project languages;
- An aptitude for original, independent, and creative work as well as for working in a team.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have excellent writing and speaking skills in English.
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted as a single PDF file via email to stef.craps-at-ugent.be.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter, in which you specify why you are interested in this position and why you consider yourself a suitable candidate;
- An overview of how you would approach the project (max. 1000 words);
- A current CV;
- Transcripts of your qualifications to date (degrees and grade lists);
- A writing sample (Master’s thesis, article, etc.);
- Names and full contact details of two referees.