The Tunisia Office of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Harvard University is inviting applications for a postdoctoral fellowship. The call for applications is open to scholars in the Humanities or Social Sciences who have received their PhD within the past seven years.
The CMES Tunisia Office is the first overseas branch of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Harvard University. Established in Tunis in January 2017, the office offers an in-situ base for Harvard students and scholars conducting research on the Maghreb and the Middle East. The office’s mission is to host Harvard students in a site geographically located in the area they are studying, to build and strengthen connections and collaboration opportunities with Tunisian, North African, and Middle Eastern academia, and to facilitate research work for Harvard researchers within the Tunisian research institutions, libraries, and archives.
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
- Application Deadline: April 1, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue Postdoctoral programme.
- Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded in the field of Humanities or Social Sciences. Preference will be given to the most qualified applicant whose research includes Tunisia and North Africa.
- Scholarship Award: The 10-month salary for this position will range from $47,500 to $56,000 and should cover the successful applicant’s accommodation, food, and visa fees. A round-trip economy class ticket from Tunis to Boston will be issued in addition to the stipend. It is estimated that the successful applicant will spend 30 hours per week on research and 5 hours per week on teaching and advising students. The fellow will work with the Director of CMES on the course design and matters pertaining to research.
- Nationality: Tunisian scholars are eligible to apply
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Tunisian scholars are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Entrance Requirements: The following criteria must be met:
- Preference will be given to postdoctoral researchers who are residents and/or citizens of Tunisia or postdoctoral researchers who are studying topics related to Tunisia.
- Doctoral qualification should have been obtained in one of the following disciplines: Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, or Political Sciences, with preference given to those whose credentials are from a Tunisian university.
- The postdoctoral fellow is required to teach a one-semester course in English or in Arabic. Priority will be given to candidates with a research interest in Tunisia and North Africa.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Applicants are required to submit the following materials as one PDF document:
- Current curriculum vitae, in English.
- A research proposal (statement of purpose) not to exceed 1500 words, in English.
- A writing sample not to exceed 5000 words that can be in English, Arabic, or French.
- A letter of recommendation written by the candidate’s dissertation advisor, in English, Arabic, or French. This letter should be submitted directly by the recommender via email to cmes_tunisia-at-fas.harvard.edu before April 1, 2018.
All application materials must be submitted electronically to cmes_tunisia-at-fas.harvard.edu before April 1, 2018. Late or incomplete applications will be not considered.