The British Council in China is offering up to five ‘Generation UK – China’ scholarships for outstanding UK students who wish to study at mainland Chinese universities in September 2018 or February 2019 for one semester or one year.
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. It is on the ground in six continents and over 100 countries, bringing international opportunity to life, every day.
- Application Deadline: April 29, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships can be used for any non-degree study of your own choice, at any mainland Chinese university.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to study the subjects offered by the university.
- Scholarship Award: The scholarship should cover all your basic living needs while you are on the programme. The cost of living in China varies greatly depending on the city you choose to study in and your lifestyle. To get the full experience of all that China has to offer, it would be a good idea to have some extra cash handy to cover any additional costs during your time on the programme, such as travel and leisure activities. You will receive:
Accommodation at the university
Tuition fee allowance of 30,000 RMB a year or less
A monthly living stipend of 3,000 RMB
You’ll need to cover the costs of flights (GBP 400-700) and arrange the necessary visas, travel and medical insurance, and vaccinations.
- Number of Scholarships: There are five scholarships available.
- Scholarship can be taken in China
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: UK students are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements:
Generation UK – China academic scholarships are available to anyone who is:
Aged 18 and above
A British passport holder (or a British or Irish passport holder if you are domiciled in Northern Ireland).
A full-time student enrolled at a UK university or a recent graduate (applying within one year of your graduation date)
On track to receive or have achieved a 2:1 grade at the university.
Students already holding offers from Chinese universities can also apply.
- English Language Requirements: There are no language eligibility requirements for this programme. However, please check the course requirements of the Chinese institution you wish to study in. All language courses are suitable for complete beginners in Mandarin. However, there is the opportunity to be placed in classes for intermediate and advanced learners. In this case, you can expect an informal language test upon arrival to make sure you get put in the right class. If this is your first experience with the Mandarin language, they strongly recommend that you learn a few of the basics before you go.
User Review( votes)
Please send the following documents to CSC:
- Printed British Council scholarship application form
- Printed CSC application form
- Certificates of your highest qualification (e.g., degree or A-level certificates)
- Most recent academic transcript (or degree certificate)
- Two academic references (referees should be from your current university)
- A personal statement/study plan (500 words)
Two photocopies of each document above should be sent to CSC at the address below by 29 April, 2018 (applications received after this date will not be considered):
How to Apply:
The British Council China Scholarship is funded by the British Council in China and administered by the China Scholarship Council (CSC). The initial application and selection process, including supporting applications to Chinese universities, is handled by CSC. The British Council will conduct the final selection of successful applicants. For this scholarship, you must apply directly to CSC via the post by 29 April 2018. Please follow the steps below to make an application to this programme:
- Complete a British Council Scholarship application form online.
- Register an account with CSC. The CSC application portal will be active from 21 March. In the meantime, please begin preparing your supporting documents. Once registered on the portal, log in and read the instructions on the homepage. Internet Explorer (11.0) or Firefox is recommended for browser compatibility.
- Choose the category of the scholarship and fill in the agency number. For the British Council China Scholarship, the scholarship category is A and the agency number is 8264.
- Fill out all details on the application form as required, ensuring all information is accurate. Upload scanned copies of the supporting documents.
- When you have completed the application form, preview it and submit the form online.
- Print two copies of the application form.
- Prepare two copies of the application form and supporting documents required. Send the full package of application documents to CSC by post (application documents will not be returned).