Global Forest Watch (GFW) and the World Resources Institute are pleased to announce the GFW Tech Fellowships. This is a five-month fellowship which will run from July through December 2018.
Global Forest Watch (GFW) is an open-source web application to monitor global forests in near real-time. GFW is an initiative of the World Resources Institute (WRI), with partners including Google, USAID, the University of Maryland (UMD), Esri, and many other academic, non-profit, public, and private organizations.
Institute will only accept applications in English at this time, since English will be the primary language of communication amongst fellows and during the training sessions.
- Application Deadline: June 15, 2018
- Course Level: This is a five month-long programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are
- Scholarship Award: Each fellow will receive:
Ongoing mentorship and training opportunities with GFW staff and partners
A stipend of $6,000 USD
Access to additional funds to support direct costs, such as in-country travel, trainings, equipment or conference fees
Roundtrip airfare to Washington, D.C., visa costs, transportation and accommodations for the three-day tech camp
Communication coverage in WRI’s newsletters, blogs and social media
- Number of Scholarships: Five Fellows will be selected in 2018.
- Nationalities: Citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
- Scholarship can be taken in South America, Central Africa and Southeast Asia
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements: GFW is seeking forest advocates who are passionate about using technology for forest monitoring from a variety of sectors including law, science, journalism, law enforcement, advocacy and conservation. More information on the Fellowship qualifications can be found here.
- English Language Requirements: Institute will only accept applications in English at this time, since English will be the primary language of communication amongst fellows and during the training sessions.
Applicants will fill out a form describing their interest, relevant experience, and proposal for activities to be carried out during the fellowship. They will also need to provide a recent resume or CV and contact information for a professional or academic reference. Submitting a letter of reference is optional.
How to Apply:
To apply to the 2018 GFW Tech Fellowship, please complete the application.