The Humboldt Foundation offers approximately 500 research fellowships annually. Fellowships are awarded for postdoctoral researchers who have completed their doctorate in the last four years to carry out a long-term research project (6-24 months) at a research institution in Germany.Scientists and scholars of all nationalities and disciplines may apply. Applicants choose their own research projects and their host in Germany and prepare their research plan independently.
The aim of the programme is to enable highly qualified academics from abroad to come to Germany to conduct a research stay there. The fellowship is flexible and can be divided up into as many as three stays within three years.
Clarity of Information
Nice opportunity for international students.
Why at Alexander von Humboldt Foundation –The foundation promotes international academic cooperation between excellent scientists and scholars from Germany and from abroad.
Application Deadline: Applications may be sent at any time
- University or Organization: Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Research program
- Award: Total 5800 EUR
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: Up to 500
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Germany
- Eligible Countries: International candidates are eligible to apply for the fellowship program.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Fellowships are available for postdoctoral researchers to carry out a long-term research project (6-24 months) at a research institution in Germany.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, candidates must meet the following criteria-
- Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed less than four years prior to the date of application. Candidates who have nearly completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation.
- Academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
- Confirmation that research facilities are available and mentoring agreement and a detailed expert’s report by an academic host at a research institution in Germany. Details of the research outline including information on the intended duration of the fellowship must be agreed with the intended host before applying.
- Expert reviews from the doctoral supervisor and one other academic qualified to give well-founded comments on the applicant’s eligibility, preferably including a reviewer not working at the applicant’s own institute.
- Language skills: scholars in the humanities or social sciences and physicians must have a good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully; otherwise a good knowledge of English; scientists and engineers must have a good knowledge of German or English.
- Applications to continue a research stay already underway can only be considered in exceptional cases. The applicant may not have spent an extended period in Germany prior to application. Potential applicants who have been in Germany for more than six months at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
How to apply: Applications can only be submitted online.
Supporting Documents: A potential candidate for a scholarship must submit the following: Curriculum vitae (two pages max, Research outline (five pages max), Complete list of publications, List of selected key publications, Key publications, Doctoral certificate, German language certificate, if applicable, Host’s statement and confirmation of research facilities, Two expert reviews, Additionally, where required: publishers’ letter(s) of acceptance and/or acknowledgment(s) of receipt as well as summaries or translations of the key publications.
Admission Requirements: There is no admission requirement for the opportunity.
Language Requirement: English language requirements for candidates who do not speak English as their first language.
The fellowship will provide an award amount worth 2,650 EUR per month for postdoctoral researchers, 3,150 EUR per month for experienced researchers.