European Patent Office (EPO) is pleased to offer DG1 Science and Engineering Internships in Munich, Switzerland. Interns must hold a technical bachelor’s or a technical master’s degree (or equivalent qualifications) at the date of application, preferably in one of the above mentioned technical fields.
Nationals of one of the EPO member states are eligible to apply for this internship program. The EPO makes a contribution towards living costs (on condition that you do not receive financial support from any other source).
Field of Internship: Internship is available in the field of science and technology.
Course Level: Internship
Internship Provider: European Patent Office (EPO)
Internship can be taken in Munich, Switzerland
Eligibility: You must:
- be a national of one of the EPO member states
- Hold a technical bachelor’s or a technical master’s degree (or equivalent qualifications) at the date of application, preferably in one of the above mentioned technical fields.
- Indicate on your CV or motivation letter 3 to 5 CPC classes or sub-classes of your field of competence
- Have a very good knowledge of technical English.
Knowledge of technical German and/or technical French is an advantage.
- Provide evidence of your own health insurance.
- Your degree should have been obtained no more than 2 years prior to the date of application or you should still be enrolled at a technical or science University.
- Working hours: per default 40 hours/week.
If this is not possible, please indicate in your CV/motivation letter the number of hours that you are available, the minimum requirement is 20 hours a week. Full-time presence is required during the initial training and follow-up training days.
- Duration: per default 6 months.
Please indicate on the application form if you are only available for a shorter period, the minimum requirement is 3 months.
Internship Open for International Students: Nationals of one of the EPO member states are eligible to apply for this internship program.
Is this paid internship? Yes, The EPO makes a contribution towards living costs (on condition that you do not receive financial support from any other source). It does not cover any other expenses. Interns must provide evidence of health insurance on the day of their arrival.
Internship Description: Every year, the EPO offers a limited number of three to six-month internships to engineering and science students who hold the minimum requirement of a technical bachelor’s (or equivalent level) degree.
This is a unique opportunity to discover one of the world’s leading patent offices and to work in a truly international environment. Interns work side by side with examiners who tutor them throughout the internship. They carry out complex re-classification work on patent applications and receive training relating to patents and other areas of IP, and various aspects of an examiner’s work.
A number of awards offered: The number of places available is limited and is reviewed every session. Internships are offered in the different sites, but primarily in Munich and The Hague.
Internship Duration: The internship is three to six months long.
Notification: Applications which are not filled out completely will be rejected without further evaluation. After submitting your application you will receive a confirmation notification by e-mail. You will be informed about the outcome of the selection procedure within 6 weeks after the deadline for applications has passed. If you are shortlisted, you may be required to submit further supporting documents (e.g. a university diploma). There will also be an interview with an examiner, most likely via Skype or telephone.
How to Apply: The mode of application is online.
Your CV and motivation letter should be written in one of the 3 official languages and should clearly indicate the following:
- The period that you are available. Per default, this is a period of 6 months.
- The educational/vocational technical training you have completed and the degree or qualification you have obtained.
- Provide details on the subjects of your main studies.
- Provide details on your language skills.
Internship Application Deadline: Internship application deadline is October 13, 2017.