The Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) is now available at MCW Graduate School. The program is open to students who are currently enrolled at an accredited college or university who intend to pursue scientific-based graduate studies.
SPUR hosts roughly 25-30 participants each summer from across the country who gain valuable research experience, refine critical thinking skills, build upon academic and professional networks and are introduced to various disciplines of science.
Field of Internship: Internship is available for pursue scientific-based graduate studies
Course Level: Internship
Internship Provider: Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)
Internship can be taken in U.S.
To be eligible, applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Participation in SPUR is intended for students who are currently enrolled at an accredited college or university
- Students who intend to pursue scientific-based graduate studies.
- All students enrolled in a U.S.-based, regionally accredited college/university are encouraged to apply.
- Preference is typically given to current sophomores and juniors with a GPA of 3.2 or higher that have an interest in research-based graduate studies.
- Those chosen to participate in SPUR must be 18 years or older by the program start date.
- All participants are required to provide a proof of health insurance, payroll verification, and emergency contact Information, following acceptance and successful completion of a background check. Additional documentation may be required as well.
Internship Open for International Students: International students studying at US domestic institutions on an F-1 visa are eligible to apply and participate in the program.
- The F-1 status is required for participation.
- All international students accepted into the program must work with their on-campus international student advisor.
- You will need to start the application process for OPT/CPT. If you receive an offer contact the international student advisor on your campus ASAP.
- Additional information is required from international students from the Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Contact [email protected] for additional information.
Is this paid internship? This is a paid internship programme.
- Applicants selected to participate in SPUR receive a stipend and are provided housing on an as-needed basis.
- The stipend for 2018 was $3,500.00, and was provided to participants in two equal payments.
- The first payment is issued near the halfway through the program, while the second payment is issued at the end of the program.
- Participants who are living outside of the greater Milwaukee area are provided with housing at no additional cost and are in addition to the stipend they receive.
The Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) has been offered at the Medical College of Wisconsin for over 30 years. During that time, SPUR has hosted hundreds of students who have since made significant contributions to science and humanity through their current positions as teachers, instructors, professors, researchers, industry professionals, government leaders and clinicians.
Number of awards offered: 25-30 each summer
Internship Duration: SPUR ’19 is scheduled to begin Wednesday, May 29, 2019 and conclude Friday, August 2, 2019. Participants must be able to provide a full-time effort (40 hours/week) and be present for the full duration of the program.
Notification: Applicants are typically notified around mid-April regarding their status. Applicants chosen to participate are sent an offer letter via email.
How to Apply:
To apply, you will need to submit an online application:
- Access to the online application – Apply Now
- Review abstracts (PDF) of the research from our 2018 SPUR participants.
This online application, along with the required supplemental materials (letters of recommendation, transcript), must be submitted or postmarked by the application deadline.
- The letters of recommendation must be written by current and/or former professors/instructors or advisors, and should convey the applicant’s interest in the sciences and research.
- Letters of recommendation can also be sent to this address, or sent electronically as an email attachment directly from the recommender to [email protected]. It is highly preferred that letters be written on official college/university letterhead.
- Transcripts must be received from any current or previously attended college/university.
- The online application requires applicants to preference their three top areas of research interest.
- Transcripts can be sent electronically via email to [email protected] or sent to the following address: MCW Graduate School (SPUR), 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226
Internship Application Deadline: Internship application deadline is Friday, February 1, 2019.