The Institute of Technology and Society is inviting seven fellows from all over the world to apply to its Global Policy Fellowship Program. These fellowships are available for researchers, graduate students as well as professionals working with technology policy to spend four weeks in Brazil at ITS.
The mission of the Institute for Technology & Society (ITS) is to ensure that Brazil responds creatively and appropriately to the opportunities provided by technology in the digital age, and that the potential benefits are broadly shared across society.
Through its own research and in partnership with other institutions, ITS analyzes the legal, social, economic and cultural dimensions of technology and advocates for public policies and private practices which protect privacy, freedom of expression and access to knowledge.
Course Level: This is a four weeks fellowship programme.
Study Subject: Global Fellows will have the opportunity to work with the team who created and developed the landmark “Marco Civil” legislation, a bill protecting fundamental rights, including privacy, net neutrality and freedom of expression, approved as law in Brazil in April 2014.
List of Countries: Also, they will be free to choose one of the ITS five broad areas to work with, namely:
- Law, democracy and technology (dealing with topics such civic engagement, online participation, and others);
- Access to technology, justice and human rights (dealing with topics such as connectivity, accesibility, digital divide and others);
- Internet regulation and Internet governance;
- Privacy and data protection (dealing with topics such as big data, anti-survailance, data protection and mass surveilance);
- Rethinking culture, media and education (working with topics such as intelectual property, digital entrepreneurship, art & technology, online teaching, and others).
Scholarship Award: Fellowship Package includes:
- Intensive 4-week program for the fellows.
- Air tickets to São Paulo and Brasília.
- Accommodation in São Paulo and Brasília during the days of our visit.
- Shared office space at our headquarters for four weeks.
- An one-week course as lecturer and student with immersion in subjects related to law and technology
Scholarship can be taken in Brazil
Eligibility: ITS is looking for MBA, Master’s, and PhD students, researchers, and professionals who are following the debates in the public policy field, and who want to spend part of their summer or winter in Brazil, learning about Internet policy. People from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Nationality: Applicants from around the world are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants who want to spend part of their summer/winter in Brazil, learning about Internet policy can apply.
Supporting Material: Applicants must include complete academic and professional resume (english), including Linkedin profile and other online references.
How to Apply: All documents must be sent in one single e-mail message to manuela.curcio-at-itsrio.org, with the subject “[ITS] Global Fellows Application :: YOUR NAME”.
Application Deadline: The applications deadline is March 13, 2017.