The University of Tokyo is offering Kobayashi Research Grants in the field of humanities and social sciences. International students from Asian and Asian Pacific region are eligible to apply for these grants.
The University of Tokyo aims to be a world-class platform for research and education, contributing to human knowledge in partnership with other leading global universities. The University of Tokyo aims to nurture global leaders with a strong sense of public responsibility and a pioneering spirit, possessing both deep specialism and broad knowledge.
- Application Deadline: February 28, 2018
- Course Level: Grants are available to pursue research programme.
- Study Subject: Grants shall be conferred for individual research (not group research) in the field of Humanities (Cultural Science) or Social Sciences, with special emphasis on themes that help deepen the researcher’s understanding and awareness of Japanese or Asian/Oceanian society and culture and enhance international interchanges among them in the future.
- Scholarship Award: Maximum 1,200,000 yen per grantee will be available to approximately 30 grantees. An amount from 320,000 to 1,200,000 yen per grantee was provided to 32 grantees for the 2017 program. (Depending upon the results of the Grantee Screening Committee’s assessment, the actual amount for some grantees could be less than the originally requested amount.)
- Number of Scholarships: 30 grantees are available.
- Nationality: Foreign students or researchers from an Asia-Pacific country/area
- Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Applicants shall meet all of the following requirements on the date of both the application deadline and grant subsidization.
Foreign students or researchers from an Asia-Pacific country/area listed below who are currently staying in Japan.
East Asia Korea, China, Taiwan, Mongolia Southeast Asia Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Thailand, East Timor, Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos South Asia India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives Oceania Australia, New Zealand, Island countries in Oceanian region
- Entrance Requirements:
Students or researchers who are presently enrolled in a doctorate program (not in a master program) of Japanese universities. Those who already received or will receive doctorate degrees before the issuance date of the grant are not allowed to apply.
Students or researchers who are recommended by their Supervisor.
- English Language Requirements: Scholarships are offered in diverse fields to help students in upgrading their education.
How to Apply: After entering your information,submit the following documents to the fund office by registered mail by the designated due date. All submitted documents should be written in Japanese or English.
- Application form (PDF [46KB], Word [Zip:11kB]) and curriculum vitae (PDF [77KB], Word [Zip:17KB]) (RESUME)
Please use the forms designated by the fund office.
- Recommendation letter (PDF [116KB], Word [Zip:9KB]) sealed before submission from the supervising professor or mentor Please use the designated form.
- Outline of the research plan/schedule and budget plan (PDF [70KB], Word [Zip:12KB])
The outline shall not exceed two A4 size pages. Any outline exceeding this length shall not be accepted.
- Certificate of enrollment issued by the university authority, indicating research faculty, special study, course, and grades.