The Ewan MacColl Memorial Award is offered through competitive application to a student accepting a place to study on the MMus, MLitt or MPhil in Music degree programmes at Newcastle University and whose research encompasses folk music. This award is available to UK, EU and international students.
The Newcastle University (officially, the University of Newcastle upon Tyne) is a public research university in Newcastle upon Tyne in the North-East of England. The vision of Newcastle as a civic university with a global reputation for academic excellence.
Students need a good level of English language to study at Newcastle University. English will be the main language you use socially and for study. if English is not their first language they will need to provide a recognized English language test or qualification.
- Application deadline: July 31, 2018
- Course Level: The scholarship is available to pursue MMus, MLitt or MPhil in music degree programmes.
- Study Subject: The Ewan MacColl Memorial Award is offered through competitive application to a student accepting a place to study on the MMus, MLitt or MPhil in Music degree programmes.
- scholarship Award: The scholarship must be used to help fund the costs of carrying out research or practical activities relating to the recipient’s Masters research project. For example, it could support travel for a student concentrating on collecting, recording or research. It may not be used to fund living expenses or tuition fees.
- Value of award: £1000
- Nationality: The award is available for UK, EU and international students.
- Scholarship can be taken in the UK.
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Award is available to UK, EU and international students.
- Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Applicants should have a good 2:1 honours degree or international equivalent, in music or a closely related discipline.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and wish to encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups in UK higher education.
- English Language Requirement: If your first language is not English you need IELTS 6.5 overall (with 6.5 in writing and a minimum of 5.5 in all other sub-skills) or equivalent.
How to Apply: You must apply through the University’s online postgraduate application system. To do this please ‘Create a new account’.
- Complete mandatory fields and also include the following information:
- Insert the relevant programme code in the programme of study section
- MMus 5811F (full-time) / 5811P (part-time)
- MLitt 7802F (full-time) / 7802P (part-time)
- MPhil 7014F (full-time) / 7015P (part-time)
- Select the programme of study
- Insert the studentship code mus02 in the studentship/partnership reference field
- Attach degree transcripts* and certificates and, if English is not your first language, a copy of your English language qualification
- Attach a research proposal of no more than 750 words for the major research project to be pursued during the Masters programme, outlining:
1) The research questions your project will address
2) The research context (i.e. current state of the research within the field or discipline)
3) The methods you plan to use to address the research questions.
- Attach a personal statement of no more than 400 words outlining:
1) How the Ewan MacColl Memorial Scholarship would enhance your research
2) An itemised costing of the funds needed to carry out your research (the maximum scholarship value is £1000)