The Systematics & Evolutionary Biology Lab at the Department of Life Sciences, National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) in Taipei, Taiwan is seeking a self-motivated and enthusiastic PhD student to work on comparative phylogeography of ecological speciation on Asian continental and oceanic islands. Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this application programme.
The position is open to all applicants that meet TIGP admission criteria. The purpose of the program is to develop the talent pool in those modern multidisciplinary fields that are important in the future economic and social development of Taiwan and to enhance the innovative potential and academic standards of research in these and related fields.
Helpful offer for candidates.
User Review( votes)
- Course Level: award is available for pursuing PhD programme.
- Study Subject: award is awarded in Insect Speciation on Islands.
- Award: Funding includes a competitive monthly stipend of NT$34,000 (US$ 1,133) for up to 3 years for both domestic and international students through the TIGP Biodiversity (Taiwan International Graduate Program – Biodiversity); a jointed graduate program between NTNU and Academia Sinica. Students are also eligible for on-campus housing during the years of their studies.
- The award can be taken at Department of Life Sciences, National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) in Taipei, Taiwan
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for this application :
- The position is open to all applicants that meet TIGP admission criteria, but preference will be given to students with a master degree or prior experiences in phylogenetics, population genetics and insect biology. The Program admits students to the fall semester only.
- Students with a B.S. or M.S. degree from an accredited institution will be considered for admission. The following criteria/material will be used to evaluate the applicant’s qualifications for admission:
- Undergraduate and graduate academic records or transcripts.
- The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General and Subject scores are optional but applicants are strongly encouraged to provide it. Applicants, who fail to submit GRE scores for evaluation, should provide supplementary information (e.g. M.S. thesis, research publication, description of research experiences, etc) that can demonstrate potential in research.
- English proficiency: As mentioned below.
- Three letters of recommendation commenting on the applicant’s personal character, and qualifications for independent study, including intellectual ability, research potential, and scientific motivation.
- Statement of purpose (Plan, including research interests, and reason for graduate study).
- The submitted application materials for evaluation will not be returned to the applicants.
Nationality: Domestic and International students are eligible to apply for this application programme. International students with an interest in studying tropical island biology are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: The mode of application is online.
- Entrance Requirements: In general, applicants must have earned a Bachelor’s degree and/or a Master’s degree by the time they apply for admission to the Taiwan International Graduate Program (TIGP). Applicants who have only completed the Bachelor’s degree are normally admitted into the Master’s Program and then advanced to the PhD program upon completion of Master’s courses.
Application Deadline: Closed