The Politecnico di Milano is inviting applications for PhD Position in Physics under the Research Title: Innovative photonic technologies for non invasive functional monitoring of biological tissue.
The PhD candidate will develop specific skills for tackling multidisciplinary problems in the field of diffuse optical spectroscopy and imaging, acquire a strong background in this field and master the design and application of advanced photonic technologies.
The Politecnico di Milano (English: Polytechnic University of Milan) is the largest technical university in Italy, with about 42,000 students. It offers undergraduate, graduate and higher education courses in engineering, architecture and design. Founded in 1863, it is the oldest university in Milan.
Citizens of Countries in which English is an official language are not required to certify their knowledge of English.
- Applications Deadline: September 10, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarship is available to study PhD programme.
- Study Subject: 1 available place, with PhD research topic scholarships available, research being restricted to the following research topics: “Innovative photonic technologies for non invasive functional monitoring of biological tissue”.
- Scholarship Award: Monthly net income of PhD scholarship (max 36 months): €. 1160 (In case of a change of the welfare rates during the three-year period, the amount could be slightly modified).
- Nationality: Italian and Foreign students
- Number of Scholarships: One position is available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Italy
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: This scholarship is available for Italian and Foreign students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Italian and foreign citizens holding a degree diploma achieved in the education system prior to Italian Ministerial Decree dated 3.11.1999 no. 509, or a Specialist degree achieved in accordance with Italian Ministerial Decree dated 3.11.1999 no. 509, or a Master of Science degree achieved in accordance with Italian Ministerial Decree dated 22.10.2004 no. 270, or an equivalent academic qualification achieved abroad, comparable in duration and content to the above Italian qualifications and approved in advance by the admission boards, may submit an application to participate in the call for admission to the selection.
In the case of a foreign qualification, candidates must submit all relevant documents for the purposes of allowing the admission boards to decide upon the suitability of the qualification achieved abroad.
Admission to the call is only for applicants who:
- have obtained a Laurea Magistrale in Italy (or equivalent qualifications that are valid for admission to PhD programmes) with a final mark no lower than 95/110 or 86/100;
- in case of qualifications obtained abroad, have the minimum average score in exams indicated in the appendix to the call (attachment 1). For the Countries not included in this list, the evaluation will be carried out directly by the judging panel.
English Language Requirements: Identified below are the certificates accepted by the Politecnico di Milano and the respective levels:
|TEST||MINIMUM LEVEL REQUIRED|
|CAMBRIDGE||FCE grade B|
|CAMBRIDGE IELTS (International English Language Testing System)||6|
|ETS – TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)||paper-based (total score): 547|
|ETS – TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)||computer based (total score): 210|
|ETS – TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)||Internet-based (total score): 78|
|TRINITY COLLEGE LONDON||ISE II|
The following candidates are exempt from certifying their knowledge of the English language: citizens of countries in which English is an official language; candidates who have achieved or will achieve a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an institution at which all teaching is provided in English. Those candidates must attach official documents to demonstrate the above, to the application: in particular, in the case where all teaching is provided in English, a declaration to that effect from the respective academic institution is required.
How to Apply: You must include all of the following documentation, otherwise your application will not be considered:
- A certificate proving his/her knowledge of English, as specified in art. 2 of this call;
- A PDF report illustrating the development of a possible PhD research project (minimum 4,000, maximum 8,000 characters, excluding bibliographies and pictures), prepared using the RTF form available in the procedure. If the aimed PhD programme includes research areas, applicants must attach a report for each – maximum two – research area for which they intend to compete. Please note that the research project illustrated in the report prepared for the competition is not necessarily the project that will be carried out during the PhD programme. If admitted, the research project that will in fact be carried out will be subsequently defined and approved by the Programme Faculty Board after the start of the PhD programme. The dissertation, complete with bibliographies and pictures must be contained in a single pdf file maximum size 3 MB;
- A curriculum vitæ in PDF format, using the template provided in RTF in the procedure. Applicants must supply the information requested in the CV template. In particular, the CV should include the list of the applicant’s publications and a recent photo of the candidate. Furthermore, it can also contain no more than two attached documents (for instance, a portfolio and a publication, or 2 publications) chosen among those that are deemed most significant to illustrate the applicant’s potential. The curriculum and its attachments must be provided in a single file that shall not exceed 10 MB;
- Motivation letter for the admission to the chosen PhD programme (max 2000 characters);
- PDF documents relating to all their University qualifications (awarded, or to be awarded), with the diploma, if available, in the original language, the list of exams taken, the corresponding scores and the translations in Italian or English;
- A duly signed copy of their identification document; non-EU applicants must attach a copy of their passport, or of another identification document together with its translation in Italian or English;
- A copy of their Italian tax code. This request is mandatory for Italian applicants, while foreign applicants will be required to obtain and submit an Italian tax code to complete the enrolment.
- Photocopy of the receipt of payment of the fee of € 25.82