SINGA Awards are given every year to top students from all over the world. Awards are available for pursuing PhD studies either at National University of Singapore (NUS) or Nanyang Technological University (NTU) or the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
They want to encourage more such exchanges, to build friendships and mutual understanding. This is why they are introducing a new Singapore International Graduate Award (or SINGA), for international students to do their Ph.D. training in a multi-disciplinary environment in Singapore. 240 SINGA Awards will be given every year to top students from all over the world.
The Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA) is a collaboration between the Agency for Science, Technology & Research (A*STAR), the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). Ph.D. training will be carried out in English at your chosen lab at A*STAR Research Institutes, NTU, NUS or SUTD. Students will be supervised by distinguished and world-renowned researchers in these labs.
International students with a passion for Science and Engineering research, excellent academic qualifications, good reports from academic referees, and fluency in English are encouraged to apply for this award. TOEFL, IELTS, and GRE are NOT required. However, Applicants may indicate their scores in the online application form if they have already taken any of these tests. If applicants are invited for an interview, the selection panel will assess your command of spoken and written English during the interview. The selection process will not be biased against candidates without GRE, TOEFL or IELTS.
- Application Deadline: 1 June 2019
- Course Level: Awards are available for pursuing Ph.D. studies either at National University of Singapore (NUS) or Nanyang Technological University (NTU) or the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
- Study Subject: Research areas under the Ph.D. Programme fall broadly under two categories:
- Biomedical Sciences; and
- Physical Science and Engineering.
More information on:
Please note that you will be required to indicate your choices of supervisor in the application form.
- Scholarship Award: The award provides support for up to 4 years of Ph.D. studies including:
- Tuition fees
- Monthly stipend of S$2,000, which will be increased to S$2,500 after the passing of the Qualifying Examination
- One-time airfare grant of up to S$1,500*
- One-time settling-in allowance of S$1,000*
* Subject to terms and conditionsThe estimated cost of living in Singapore
Items Per Student Per Month (S$) Food University Canteens 250 – 350 Meals outside Campus 450 – 600 Accommodation
(based on a single room)
On- Campus* 400 – 700 Transport Expenses (local) 100 – 150 Other Expenses (stationary, laundry, toiletries, recreation, etc.) 400 – 500 Total Estimated Cost of Living 1,400 – 2,000
*Priority for on-campus accommodation is usually given to first-year students.
- Number of Scholarships: 650 SINGA Awards will be given every year to top students from all over the world.
- Nationality: International students
- Scholarship can be taken in Singapore
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements: To be eligible to apply:
- Open for application to all international graduates with a passion for research and excellent academic results
- Good skills in written and spoken English
- Good reports from academic referees
- The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive.
A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
- English Language Requirements: TOEFL, IELTS, and GRE are NOT required. However, Applicants may indicate their scores in the online application form if they have already taken any of these tests. If they are invited for an interview, the selection panel will assess your command of spoken and written English during the interview. The selection process will not be biased against candidates without GRE, TOEFL or IELTS.
How to Apply: 1. Browse PhD Research Projects
Go to Research Areas to browse the projects you are interested in.
2. Documents Required
Do prepare the following documents in advance before applying.
Note: Do NOT mail any hard copy documents to SINGA Office. All necessary documents are to be submitted online.
a. Identification card or Passport
b. A recent passport-sized photo (in .jpeg or .png format)
3.Transcripts & Reports
All transcripts need to be in English translation
Bachelor’s and/or Master’s academic transcripts.
Bachelor’s Degree certificate(s) / scroll(s) or a letter of certification from the university on your candidature if your degree certificate/scroll has not yet been conferred.
2 recommendation reports (to be completed and submitted online by the referees).
GRE / IELTS / TOEFL / SAT I & II / GATE results. However, do note that you may be requested by the university to submit satisfactory scores as part of the university admission requirement. IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Please read the important information below.
a. Please ensure that the information you provide during account registration in the application portal is accurate, as the information will be used for verification upon your first log-in.
b. Please ensure that you apply for the correct scholarship – “Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA)” – in the application portal after logging in.
c. Please do NOT mail any hard copy documents to the SINGA Office.
d. Please submit your applications as early as possible. This will provide ample time for your referees to submit their online recommendation reports before the application deadline, as only applications with 2 recommendation reports will be processed.
e. Please check and ensure that all data you have entered in the online application form is correct and accurate before you submit the application. Amendments to the application will NOT be possible after it is submitted.