Applications are invited for the SMART scholarship programme for postdoctoral research for the year 2019. International applicants are eligible to apply for this application programme.
As a leading research hub in Asia, SMART aims to identify and carry out research on critical problems of societal significance and develop innovative solutions through its interdisciplinary research groups (IRGs).
User Review( votes)
The Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) is a major research enterprise established by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in partnership with the National Research Foundation of Singapore (NRF) in 2007.
- Application Deadline: April 12, 2019
- Course Level: The grant is available for pursuing Postdoctoral programme.
- Award: The awards provide a fixed annual salary of S$120,000 per year (not eligible for 13-month bonus or annual increment), a research grant of up to S$25,000, a travel grant of up to S$2,500, and eligible for a six-month stay at MIT with funds up to S$15,000.
- Number of Awards: Not Known
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Singapore
- Eligible Countries: International applicants are eligible to apply.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: The sponsorship will be awarded in any subject offered by the university
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the given criteria:
- These awards will provide a unique opportunity for recent or soon to be Ph.D. graduates to participate in the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) Centre in Singapore, and to become members of an alumni network that we anticipate will continue to evolve and expand over the years
- The awards, to be given annually, are open to those with less than two years postdoctoral experience and provided they have received their doctoral degree by 1 August 2019.
- The fellowship recipient would be able to conduct research of his/her own choice in Singapore within, but not necessarily tied closely to, a current project in one of the SMART Interdisciplinary Research Groups (IRGs) and or the SMART Innovation Centre.
- It is anticipated that the recipients will take up their appointments at SMART by 1 September 2019.
The mode of application is online.
- How to Apply: To apply, the applicants must submit an online application through the link: OR the applicants must download the application form and submit to:
- Supporting Documents: Applicants have to submit the following documents along with the application form:
- SMART IRG: Select the SMART Interdisciplinary Research Group (IRG) you would like to conduct your research in.
- Identify the MIT faculty member who belongs to SMART that you feel could best provide mentorship and guidance on your proposed research.
- Submit a 1-3 page description of the research project you propose to conduct at SMART, including some background/context, technical approach, and anticipated results.
- Provide a brief description of why you want to conduct your research at SMART in Singapore. Include some indication of how the proposed research might benefit from being conducted in Singapore, and how it might promote collaboration between the SMART faculty member from MIT, the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), the National University of Singapore (NUS), and the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
- Describe your long-term career goals and role of this postdoctoral experience in achieving them, including future plans for collaborative activities.
- Curriculum Vitae not to exceed 2 pages.
- Provide a complete list of publications. In addition, also include copies of not more than 3 publications, combined in a single PDF file, that you consider to represent your best work.
- Provide the Selection Committee any other information you feel will be helpful in accessing your application.
- Provide 3 professional names of your referee. One must be your doctoral supervisor and the other 2 persons must be qualified to comment on your scholarly achievements.
- Your referees must submit their recommendation online together with your application through our online application.
- A reminder to your referee to prepare the letter using their official institution or organization’s letterhead.
- Admission Requirements: These awards will provide a unique opportunity for recent or soon to be Ph.D. graduates to participate in the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) Centre in Singapore, and to become members of an alumni network that we anticipate will continue to evolve and expand over the years.
The awards provide a fixed annual salary of S$120,000 per year (not eligible for 13-month bonus or annual increment), a research grant of up to S$25,000, a travel grant of up to S$2,500, and eligible for a six-month stay at MIT with funds up to S$15,000.