The University of Leicester is inviting applications for Stanley Burton Centre PhD Scholarship (fee-waiver) in Holocaust and Genocide Studies starting February 2019. This scholarship is open to suitable new UK/EU and International (i.e., outside the EU) applicants.
The scholarship is open to new postgraduate researchers only – i.e., it is not open to existing postgraduate students.
The University of Leicester is committed to international excellence through the creation of world changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching. History at Leicester was ranked 6th in the UK for research in the 2014 Guardian REF League Table.
- Applications Deadline: September 14, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: The list of possible research areas includes:
- History of the Holocaust
- History of concentration camps, ghettoes and similar institutions
- Genocide Studies
- History of Germany/Germanophone Europe
- History of the Balkans
- The origins and consequences of mass violence
- Holocaust representation and memory
- The public and national memory of mass conflicts
- Media and the representation of mass violence
- Post-conflict memorialisation and heritage
- Scholarship Award: The scholarship will pay full-time University UK tuition fees for three years (pro-rata for part-time study).
- Nationality: This scholarship is open to suitable new UK/EU and International (i.e., outside the EU) applicants.
- Number of Scholarships: Two scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: This scholarship is open to suitable new UK/EU and International (i.e., outside the EU) applicants.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Applicants must have a first-class or high upper second-class honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in history or a relevant discipline and meet the University’s Standard English language entry requirements.
It is expected that applicants should also have a Masters degree with merit or distinction in a relevant discipline or be able to show evidence that they will achieve this before February 2019. Applicants should be able to demonstrate a strong interest in research and it is desirable that applicants be proficient in at least one language other than English. Presence in Leicester and involvement in the activities of the Burton Centre is a requirement.
This scholarship is open to suitable new UK/EU and International (i.e., outside the EU) applicants. Please note that the award covers tuition fees at the UK rate only. International applicants (and those not eligible to pay UK tuition fees) must demonstrate at the time of their application that they can fund the difference in tuition fee rates. The scholarship is for full- or part-time study (paid pro-rata in the case of part-time study). Owing to UK visa restrictions, international applicants are not normally able to study part-time. Applicants must be able to commence their studies in February 2019.
The scholarship will be renewed annually subject to the student successfully passing the yearly evaluation. Students will be encouraged to apply for sources of additional funding such as the Midlands3Cities scheme and will be offered support through this process.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must meet the Universities’ English Language Requirements.
How to Apply: To apply, simply follow our five-point checklist:
- Define what you want to research and ensure this is compatible with the areas of research listed above.
- Applications should be accompanied by a thesis proposal of no more than 2000 words outlining the area to be studied, key debates within the field, and initial ideas on potential research methods and primary sources.
- Prepare your supporting documents (transcript of first degree marks, curriculum vitae).
- State in your application that you are applying for the History Fee Waiver Scholarship in Holocaust and Genocide Studies.
- Submit your online application. The online application can be found below.