The Basel Graduate School of History (BGSH) is delighted to offer Tender Starting Scholarships for support during the start phase of their doctorate. International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
The Basel Graduate School of History (BGSH) offers a structured graduate program in the field of history, based on the successful completion of doctorates. In the BGSH, doctoral candidates earn their doctorates in a network that is solid in terms of theory, methodology, and content, giving them the opportunity for intellectual discussion and international networking.
- Application Deadline: November 7, 2018
- Course Level: The scholarships are for support during the start phase of your doctorate.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the following areas: medieval history, early modern history, recent and recent history, eastern European history, Jewish history, global history, A high motivation to participate in the BGSH as an active member and to carry out an independent, multi-year research project is expected.
- Scholarship Award: The Basel Graduate School of History offers a structured graduate studies programme in history within an intellectually inspiring environment. Doctoral students at the BGSH benefit from a rich scolarly exchange, joint workshops and research seminars, and a vast international and interdisciplinary network. Moreover, the BGSH offers further instruments to pursue your doctoral project and supports the realization of own scholarly events. The 1-year scholarship amounts to CHF 30,000 and is paid in two tranches (with intermediate evaluation).
- Nationality: International students
- Number of Scholarships: Up to two scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Switzerland
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
- Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements: The scholarships are intended for students with a masters degree or equivalent in history and who wish to pursue doctorates in one of the following areas: medieval history, early modern history, recent and recent history, eastern European history, Jewish history, global history, A high motivation to participate in the BGSH as an active member and to carry out an independent, multi-year research project is expected.
- English Language Requirements: The teaching languages of the Graduate School are English and German.
How to Apply: The application is made electronically via the following page:
In addition, please email the following documents to the coordinator at the Basel Graduate School of History, Laura Ritter ([email protected]):
1. Covering letter
2. CV (including a list of publications, where applicable)
3. Outline of the dissertation project (max. 3 pages)
4. Degree certificate
5. One or two text samples (incl. master thesis or equivalent)
Please submit the documents in two separate pdf files:
– Documents 1 to 4: one single file with the title >[surname]-bew.pdf<
– Text samples: one single file with the title >[surname]-texte.pdf<
Applications can be submitted in German, French, or English. Applicants who are about to complete their studies can apply, provided that they can submit an official graduation certificate no later than 11th of February 2019. Applications from doctoral students already enrolled at other institutions will not be considered. Holders of a starter scholarship must enrol as PhD students at the University of Basel.