The Department of Earth and Planetary Science, Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo is inviting applications for the faculty position in the field of solid earth science (tectonics based on a material science approach).
The University of Tokyo’s School of Science conducts research and education across various scientific fields in order to understand the mechanisms of nature and uncover the immutable laws that govern them. In most cases, scientific research is motivated and advanced by the intellectual interests of researchers and not by the desire to seek the immediate application of findings.
- Applications Deadline: October 19, 2018
- Course Level: This is a faculty position at the level of Assistant Professor.
- Study Subject: Position is awarded in the field of solid earth science (tectonics based on a material science approach).
- Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this position.
- Number of Scholarships: One position at the Assistant Professor level.
- Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this position.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Ph D or equivalent in a relevant field
- Ability to conduct research and education at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the field of tectonics with an expertise in activities such as field work, laboratory experiments etc.
- Sufficient Japanese ability for instruction at the undergraduate and graduate levels (where this is not possible at the time of appointment, this level of language proficiency is expected within five years)
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: All documents should be submitted as email attachments in pdf format. The documents can be separated into several separate emails but the total size of each individual mail should not exceed 10 MB. Applications should be sent to and the subject should be Assistant Professor in Solid Earth Science. An acknowledgement will be sent within 2 working days of receipt of the application documents.
Application materials required
- Curriculum vitae (this should include age, email address and other contact details, and summary of academic and professional career from high school including the date of university graduation).
- A summary of the main educational and research activities of the applicant (about 1000 words).
- List of publications and related scientific output, which should be divided into the following 4 types.
- Refereed papers and review articles (where available include the number of citations for each paper and the name of the database used)
- Non-refereed papers and review articles
- Other relevant material
- Copies of up to 5 significant publications
- Outline of aspirations and plans for research and education after taking office (about 1000 words)
- Names and contact information for 2 referees who can provide an independent assessment of the candidate.