The United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF), the Fulbright commission in India is pleased to announce the opening of the Fulbright-Nehru Distinguished Chair (All Disciplines) Research Scholarships for the 2018-2019 academic years. These scholarships are available to Indian students to pursue research in South and Central Asia.
The Fulbright Program is designed to expand and strengthen relationships between the people of the United States and citizens of other nations and to promote international understanding and cooperation.
The Fulbright-Nehru Program offers the largest number of grants worldwide. Short-term Flex grants for research are available through the Academic and Professional Excellence awards on a limited basis. See also research opportunities under the South and Central Asia Regional Research Program.
Course Level: These scholarships are available to pursue teaching/research programme.
Study Subject: These scholarships are awarded in area of specialization.
Scholarship Award: These scholarships will cover the followings:
- $5,000 per month
- Additional living allowance of $200 per month per dependent, up to a maximum of three dependents who accompany the grantee for at least 80 percent of the grant period.
- Grantees are responsible for arranging their own housing, but support will be provided by USIEF and the host institution.
ESTIMATED TRAVEL AND RELOCATION ALLOWANCE
- Round-trip international travel for grantee and up to maximun for two depedents.
- One-time baggage allowance of $350.
- ESTIMATED BOOK AND RESEARCH ALLOWANCE
- A one-time teaching/research allowance of up to $750 provided on a reimbursable basis for specific allowable expenses.
- DEPENDENT TUITION ALLOWANCE
- Up to $5,000 per child or $10,000 per family for accompanying dependent children in grades K-12 on reimbursement basis.
Numbers of Scholarships: Approximately two scholarships are available.
Scholarship can be taken in South and Central Asia
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following area for these scholarships:
- Applicants are recommended to identify appropriate host institutions for their projects. They are not required to correspond with them before applying.
- Applicants who have been in touch with potential host institutions should include any correspondence in the application, such as letters of invitation or expressions of interest.
- Appropriate placements will be arranged for selectees.
- Applicants wishing to be affiliated at an institution outside major metropolitan areas are encouraged to indicate this in their applications.
- According to government of India guidelines, each scholar will be officially affiliated with a recognized Indian university/institution for their project and will be guided or assisted by an academic supervisor. Therefore, USIEF will confirm final affiliations for candidates awarded Fulbright-Nehru grants. This is part of the official clearance and visa process.
- Although academic calendars vary across institutions, Fulbright-Nehru teaching scholars have historically arrived in India in either July/August or in January. Applicants are encouraged to inquire about the ideal grant dates for the host institution when requesting an invitation letter.
Nationality: Applicants of India can apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have Ph.D. (or other terminal degree).
English Language Requirement: The language proficiency self-evaluation and language proficiency external evaluation are not required. For teaching, all instruction is in English.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via online.
Tailored Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Tailored to award, including publications
- Up to six pages; eight pages for Distinguished Chair Program
- CV and Resume Guidance
- Up to three pages
- Background research for your project
- Bibliography Guidance
- Syllabi Guidance
- 2-3; up to 10 pages maximum total
- Three references required
- One of the reference letters must address your teaching
- Requirements and Tips for Submission
Consult award description to determine whether the following are required:
Letter of Invitation
- For applicants in the following fields only: architecture and city planning, the arts (digital, mixed media, painting, photography, sculpture and other), and creative writing (creative fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, journalism and other), dance, film studies, media arts, music (composition, performance and other) and theater arts. – Requirements
Application Deadline: The application deadline is August 1, 2017.