The Institute for Advanced Study and the University of Pavia is delighted to offer Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology PhD Fellowships to study in Italy. Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme.
The PhD program prepares highly skilled and brilliant researchers, open to work with an interdisciplinary approach to scientific problems.
IUSS-Pavia, the Institute for Advanced Study of Pavia, is the last step of a long lasting higher education process started on 825 when King Lotharius appointed Pavia, the ancient capital of the Lombard kingdom, as the site for higher education of his kingdom. This process went through the foundation in 1361 by Emperor Charles IV of the Studium Generale later on named University of Pavia.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: Strong research programs are available in the areas of Protein, Science, Cellular Biochemistry, Bioinorganic Chemistry, Molecular Microbiology and Molecular Neuropathology.
Scholarship Award: The annual amount of the scholarship is € 13.638,47, including National Social Security Contributions (INPS). This amount is exempt from the IRPEF tax and it is subject to the payment of National Social Security contribution (INPS “gestione separata”), of which two thirds are paid by the administration and one third by the PhD student. The scholarships may not be cumulated with other scholarships granted for any reason, with the exception of those granted by national or foreign institutions to enhance the student’s research activity with periods of stay abroad. Those who have taken advantage, even partly, of a Ph.D. scholarship in the past, may not benefit from the scholarship. The scholarship may be increased by 50% (maximum level) for periods of stay abroad until a maximum period of 18 months. The School will also make an annual budget available to all Ph.D. students pursuant to article 9 of Italian Ministerial Decree 45/2013, starting from the second year of the programme, to cover research activity-related expenses as provided for by internal rules. The School shall ensure the students against accidents and civil liability for the entire duration of the Programme.
Number of Scholarships: Five fellowships are available.
Scholarship can be taken in Italy
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
Candidates with the academic qualifications set forth below may take part in the selection process, without citizenship restrictions:
- Master degree
- Similar academic qualification obtained abroad, issued by an Academic Institution officially recognized that gives the admission to the PhD Programme in the foreign Country, just declared to be equivalent by the Italian authorities or recognized as comparable by the Admission Committee to the Italian qualification in terms of duration and content and deemed eligible for the purposes of taking part in the competition.
- Individuals who have not obtained their qualification by the announcement deadline but who will obtain it by 30th September may also take part in the selection process.
Candidates holding a qualification obtained in Italy
All candidates holding an academic qualification obtained at an Italian University, whether they are EU citizens or citizens of Non-European Union Countries, are required to self-certify their qualification and are eligible for the selection process subject to verification of the self-certified declarations.
Candidates holding a qualification obtained abroad (EU and Non – EU Countries)
All candidates holding a qualification obtained abroad (NON-EU Countries) are required to submit a legalized copy of their original degree certificate along with a translation unless written in English/French/Spanish. Admission to the Programme for candidates holding a foreign qualification obtained in a Non-EU Country is in any case conditional on verification of the qualification held, which is carried out on the basis of the “ Dichiarazione di valore in loco ” [ “ Declaration of local value”] issued by the Italian diplomatic mission competent in that territory. Candidates holding an academic degree awarded abroad in the EU Countries are required to submit the Diploma Supplement.
Nationality: Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have Master degree.
English language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The mode of application is online.
In order to enroll, admitted candidates shall submit the following documents to the Post-Graduate Office of the School:
- Filled in and signed Enrollment form;
- Tax Declaration form;
- Signed copy of a valid Identity Card (ID);
- One photo (passport size);
- Copy of the Italian fiscal code card (if available);
- Payment receipt of Tassa regionale di ritto allo Studio;
- Candidates who awarded their second level Degree abroad: Declaration of Local Value ( Dichiarazione di valore ) or proof of request issue to competent authorities or Diploma Supplement;
- Only for candidates having been awarded the second level Degree after the deadline of the competition and by 30/09/2017: Certificate or self-declaration of second level Degree, with grade, date and place of obtainment.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is August 23, 2017.