The British Academy and the Royal Society are pleased to offer 40 Newton international fellowships to researchers of high academic ability for 2018-2019 entry. Scholarships are awarded to undertake postdoctoral research programme at UK research institutions.
The Newton International Fellowship scheme will select the very best early stage post-doctoral researchers from all over the world, and offer support for two years at UK research institutions. The long-term aim of the scheme is to build a global pool of research leaders and encourage long-term international collaboration with the UK.
The Newton International Fellowships Scheme was established in 2008 to select the very best early stage postdoctoral researchers. From 2015 additional Fellowships are supported through the Newton Fund specifically for applicants from Newton Fund partner countries; this new initiative aims to develop long-term sustainable growth and welfare of partner countries through building research and innovation capacity, and forms part of the UK’s Official Development Assistance commitment. Newton Fund countries include Brazil, China, India, Mexico, South Africa, and Turkey.
Applicants must hold a PhD, or expect to obtain their PhD by the time funding starts, and should have no more than 7 years of active full time postdoctoral experience at the time of application (discounting career breaks, but including teaching experience and/or time spent in industry). Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- Application Deadline: March 27, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing postdoctoral research programme at any UK university or public research institute.
- Study Subject: The Fellowships cover the broad range of physical, natural and social sciences and the humanities.
- Scholarship Award: FFunding will consist of:
£24,000 per annum for subsistence costs (tax exempt)
Up to £8,000 per annum for consumables
A one-off payment of up to £2,000 for relocation expenses in year one only
A contribution will also be made to enable the UK host institution to host a Fellowship; this will be equal to 50% of the total award.
- Number of Scholarships: Approximately 40 Newton International Fellowships will be available in this round, with additional Fellowships awarded to individuals from Newton Fund countries. Additional fellowships are also made available by private foundations.
- Nationality: International students
- Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: International students (except UK) can apply for these fellowships.
- Entrance Requirements: Applicants must hold a PhD, or expect to obtain their PhD by the time funding starts, and should have no more than seven years of active full-time postdoctoral experience at the time of application (discounting career breaks, but including teaching experience and/or time spent in industry). Additionally, applicants should not hold UK citizenship and should be working outside of the UK at the point of application. Applicants must have a clearly defined and mutually-beneficial research proposal agreed with a UK host researcher.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: The scheme is very competitive and as such it is important to make the best case for your application. You should:
- Include all relevant information and supporting arguments in the application. The application stands alone and there is no opportunity for reconsideration on further evidence after assessments have been made.
- Observe the assessment criteria to ensure you are providing the necessary information to show how your application meets these.
- Present your application clearly; evidence of good planning, financial responsibility and measurable outcomes can be as important as excellent research.
- Save information entered on Flexi-Grant® as you proceed: you may be automatically logged out after a long period of inactivity and any unsaved information will be lost.
- Print a copy of your application and check that no information is omitted before submitting: once submitted you will not be able to edit your application without asking your approver to return it to you.