In Collaboration with the South African Humanities Deans’ Association (SAHUDA), The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) is awarding PhD/Doctoral Scholarship to study in South Africa. South African citizen is eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
The main objective of this programme is to promote scholarship in the humanities and social sciences in South Africa, specifically among designated groups and Historically Disadvantaged Institutions.
The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) has partnered with the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) to develop the African Pathways Programme through doctoral scholarships.
Course Level: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD/Doctoral programme.
Study Subject: Application is invited from all humanities and social science disciplines.
Applications are especially encouraged from (but are not limited to) the following areas: Visual and Performing Arts; African Languages; History; Anthropology; Archeology; Economics; Political Science; Heritage Studies; Social Work; Indigenous Knowledge Systems; African Music and Musicology.
Scholarship Award: The value of the award is R132 000 in the first year. Annual renewals are subject to proof of satisfactory progress. The maximum funding period is three years.
Number of Scholarships: Number of scholarship is not given.
Scholarship can be taken in South Africa
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Only South African citizens from designated groups, with a preference to those from previously disadvantaged groups of the population.
- Successful completion of a Master’s degree; or entering the first year of Ph.D./doctoral study; or currently registered for PhD study in the first year of enrollment.
- Not older than 45 years of age at the time of the application.
Nationality: The South African citizen is eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
How to Apply: Candidates should submit the following documentation for application:
- Online application form which is accessible through the link below
- Letter of confirmation from the prospective department or supervisor that you will be admitted to the participating university for registration for PhD study.
- A motivation letter (no longer than one A4 page – 500 words)
- A recent intellectual autobiography: a narrative of the major influences in your intellectual life (no longer than one A4 page – 500 words)
- A research proposal outlining the problem statement, methodology, feasibility of your study and the contribution it will make to the body of knowledge in the particular field of study
- Two letters of recommendation from academics who are familiar with your work, of which one must be the supervisor of your Master’s thesis
- A certified copy of your full academic transcript/s
- A certified copy of your ID
- Sample copies of your best writing, e.g. a chapter from your Master’s study or any published academic work.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is November 10, 2017.